Icelandic: heitur reitur

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Alxmrphi, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English

Quick question. I've asked around a few people and was wondering how common it was to use heitur reitur instead of WiFi hotspot.
    I can see it seems, at least on some level, to be an official term but I was wondering if it was one of those things that have official names but ones that are generally shunned by native speakers or if this is just a case where both can be used. So, has this to say:

There are also other uses such as on and in article on DV saying about one on Austurvöllur (here).
    Is anyone familiar with this as a normal usage or is it just marginal? I know it's an extension of the geographical sense but I only mean the internet-access meaning.

2. csjc New Member

Reykjavík, Iceland
    English- Canada
    This is another one of those terms (of many in Icelandic) that are used in official texts/documentation, but you'd be hard pressed to find native speakers use in everyday speech. I'd assume most Icelanders would translate "free wi-fi hotspot" to "ókeypis þráðlaust net", not "ókeypis heitur reitur". In my opinion it sounds very clumsy.