Icelandic: Hope work is going well

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by ShakeyX, Sep 10, 2013.

1. ShakeyX Senior Member

British English
    This is one phrase i've had much problems with as everyone I ask gives me quite different answers (I know ofcourse this is possible just I want one that conveys my actual meaning and not the meaning that said Icelander was thinking at the time).

so I want to say... I hope work is going well (continuous sense). I would of attempted... Ég vona að vinnan er að ganga vel / Vonandi er vinnan að ganga vel.

But I've received some replies along the lines of... "Vona vinnann gengur vel" and "Vonandi gengur þér vel í vinnunni"

Using gengur seems to me like a future intention like, I hope work goes well, rather than is currently going well, as if the person was AT work. Any thoughts on this folks?

2. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    would have* ;)

You need to break this addiction to the present continuous. The present simple works just fine in so many non-future ways.
    Listen to the suggestions you've been given. They're right, whether or not they conform to the system you wish was true about the present continuous.
    You need to make the association that the present tense does this job in this example. :)

3. ShakeyX Senior Member

British English
    Haha nah I am perfectly happy with accepting the present does the job, I know it can be used in certain cases just this one felt to me as if it was saying, I hope work goes well, sort of if the person was saying it before the person left for work.

So would it be possible to say... Vonandi gengur vinnan vel?

4. sindridah Senior Member

Reykjavík
    Icelandic
    This "Vona vinnann gengur vel" sounds so horrible and so wrong, and these 2 "n" endings is wrong Icelandic, vinnan is feminine so just 1 "n" at the end. I would go with "Vonandi gengur þér vel í vinnunni" as you recieved.
    But your second attempt sounds really good also.

5. ShakeyX Senior Member

British English
    Yeh I've noticed everytime I ask for advice from an Icelander, of around my age (22). I get totally incorrect answers (as in spelling mistakes and a lot of omitted words to fit in more with Facebook convo style) which is why I was skeptical of the responses and came here.

6. ShakeyX Senior Member

British English
    (I'd like to add, seeing how I write in this forum though can explain a lot of the problem. A native of the language isn't as switched on :p my English is well bad)

7. Daniel20 Junior Member

England
    English
    'Facebook convo style' - see, we do the same :p

The use of present continuous is confusing for us, I think. At least I'm struggling to get my head around it.

8. Silver_Biscuit

Silver_Biscuit Senior Member

Reykjavík
    English - UK
    You mean present simple, right? Present continuous is extremely easy to use because it's just like English* - in fact I think Icelandic might be the only Nordic language to even have a present continuous, so we're lucky in that respect. The trouble is that often the present simple is used in Icelandic where English would use the present continuous or an auxilliary verb to express future intention. English doesn't use present simple for so many different things as Icelandic does, and it is tricky. (Just so we're on the same page, ég er að gera það is present continuous whilst ég geri það is present simple.)

Edit: * Aside from the danger, illustrated in Jake's original question, of tending to want to overuse it.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  9. Daniel20 Junior Member

England
    English
    Well, I did meant the present continuous, but in the way you said of overusing it. It is tempting to use it when it would be improper in Icelandic to do so.