Icelandic: Impersonal/passive usages

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by ShakeyX, Sep 16, 2013.

1. ShakeyX Senior Member

British English
    Just wanted to get some clarification here, or opinions on certain constructions.

The basic:

Ég sló hana (active)
    Hún var slegin (passive)
    Það var slegið hana (new passive)

Impersonal isn't possible as there is a do'er and a done to convey the message (agent and... object?)

Bit more complex, came across this.

Við bjóðum upp á fisk (active) We offer
    Þér er boðið upp á fisk (passive) You are offered
    Það er boðið upp á fisk (impersonal) It is offered

Now as fish is the object which is offered, (the accusative/direct object part of this construction) could I not say... fiskur er boðinn upp á hér? I've been informed this could be a wierd example due to the inherent preposition in the verb but if any one can think of any other examples which could be constructed in all the categories listed.. i.e. (Active, passive, impersonal) but passive for the direct object and not the indirect object where þér is used.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  2. ShakeyX Senior Member

British English
    Just to add...

I know the passive for verbs that govern the accusative are as such... Hún var slegin!

And for dative are as such.... Henni var gefið (eitthvað)

But as this bjóða governs both the accusative as the direct object and the dative as the indirect, surely that means there are two possible passive forms, one which denotes who is offered as the topic (dative) and one that says what is offered as the topic (accusative). I am asking about this second one, which logic (atleast my logic) would dictate is written as fiskur er boðinn upp á...

I have a feeling it's wrong but just want someone to dissect it.

3. Kadabrium Junior Member

Mandarin Chinese
    As far as I have learned up to now, a direct passive can only be used when the object follows the verb immediately and is accusative.

4. ShakeyX Senior Member

British English
    Going back to this. I realised I gave an example which has both direct and indirect object in the sentence with no prepositions...

Henni var gefið eitthvað (Passive with the indirect object as the subject)

What about passive with the direct object as the subject, is that even possible in constructions with dative and accusative.

Eitthvað henni var gefið
    Bíllinn henni var gefinn

or anyway to make the direct object the subject in these cases.

5. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Nope, so it's not something to worry about. :)