1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Icelandic: 'Jake' in Runic letters?

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by ShakeyX, Feb 6, 2013.

1. ShakeyX Senior Member

British English
    Seing as my name was definitely never used in Runic (Jake) plus the fact that I guess the letter J or its equivalent would be like english Y. How would I render my name in Icelandic Runes? Djeik? Is there a proper way or is it just based on how it sounds and also what are the specific subset of icelandic runes called.

Thanks, Djeik

2. NorwegianNYC Senior Member

New York, NY, USA
    Norwegian
    Since the spelling was phonetic, it would probably start with a D or T, followed by an I and an E (which is like Eng YE in 'yellow'), and then a K. It is hard to say whether the diphthong would be spelled out or not. My guess is not, but feel free to insert another I (D I E I K)

3. KarenRei Senior Member

Kópavogur
    American English
    The Icelandic language does not use runes. And there is not a single runic alphabet. Wikipedia covers some of the differences:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runes

Most of the runes used in Iceland (in Old Icelandic, not modern) were the Medieval Runic alphabet

Now, if you're asking how the "J" sound is usually rendered in modern Icelandic, yes, it's "dj" (for example, "djamma" (jamm = to party), "djass" (jazz), "djók" (joke), etc). And "ei" would be a good rendition of the "a" sound in your name.

Not in modern Icelandic. That's "É". I and E are different sounds. I is like the i in "pig" (maybe a bit tighter), while e is like the "e" in "bed". Both are often preaspired (aðblástur in Icelandic = terminating the voice before the vowel finishes and robbing the subsequent consonant(s) of voice), leading to them sounding sort of like they're followed with -h or even -ah. Probably the closest English analogy one could make would be the Boston accent.

Not T, it's not used that way in modern Icelandic. For example, "tjörn" (pond) doesn't begin with a j-sound. The difference in Icelandic between D and T is that T is aspirated (aspiration = fráblástur = pressure is higher, leading to a pronounced burst of air from the mouth) while D is not. There's no voicing difference like in English where D is voiced and T is not. The English j is unaspirated, and hence "DJ" is the appropriate spelling. The aspirated English equivalent of "j" is "ch", hence one could analogize "tj" in Icelandic with "ch" in English (not exactly, but close enough).

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  4. NorwegianNYC Senior Member

New York, NY, USA
    Norwegian
    Hi KarenRei,

I think you misunderstand:). My response was based on the hypothetical spelling of "jake" using runes. I was not going into the specifics of Icelandic vowel pronunciation. When I say "an I and an E" is like "YE in yellow" it is to prevent it from being pronounced like the cluster "ie" in English. Also, when I say "a D or a T" it is because some futharks have a D, but many of them do not, and then one will have to use T instead.

Of course - no language uses runes, so this is simply a mind-game.

Let's say we use the younger futhark: f u þ ą r k h n i a s t b m l ʀ (since the elder futhark was used for Proto-Norse, and the younger for Norse), and stick with the notion that either I (iss) or A (ar) could represent E.
    The way to spell "Jake" is T I A/E (I) K - regardless of modern day sound values

5. Määränpää

Määränpää Senior Member

Finnish
    I know we Finns aren't really Vikings but I would say T S E I K ;)

6. NorwegianNYC Senior Member

New York, NY, USA
    Norwegian
    That makes sense

7. sindridah Senior Member

Reykjavík
    Icelandic
    Though I don't get the question it's definitely "Djeik" ;D

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  8. NorwegianNYC Senior Member

New York, NY, USA
    Norwegian
    Hey, hey, hey!:warn: That depends on which futhark you're using. The elder one - yup. The younger one - nope. Any other one - not really, but you might tweak it

9. sindridah Senior Member

Reykjavík
    Icelandic
    What do you mean which? There aren't many futhark mentioned in the question and I'll go by that.

10. NorwegianNYC Senior Member

New York, NY, USA
    Norwegian
    Sorry:), it was meant jokingly. Well, there are many futharks, and no such thing as "Icelandic runes". KarenRei suggests using Medieval runes and I suggested the Younger futhark - what we will have to agree on is that it was not the Elder futhark, since it was no longer in use by the time Iceland was discovered.

11. KarenRei Senior Member

Kópavogur
    American English
    He said "Icelandic runes". The primary runes used in Iceland were medieval.

12. Cagey non modo mod

California
    English - US
    Please remember that the original question was not about modern orthography but about the hypothetical transcription of a modern name [Jake] in runes.

Thank you,
    Cagey, moderator.

13. ShakeyX Senior Member

British English
    So... just so I can try and research this before tattoo day, does anyone know the name of the subset of Runes that were used in Iceland. As I am sure they used runes but I don't think it was the Fuþark.

Kan jú djast giv mí ðat

14. ShakeyX Senior Member

British English
    or is Medieval the name of the set? Apologies if so.

15. NorwegianNYC Senior Member

New York, NY, USA
    Norwegian
    Hi,

All runic alphabets are called 'futhark'. I agree with KarenRei that you would perhaps want to look into the Medieval futhark for this purpose, as described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_runes

16. Lanmi New Member

Serbian - Serbia
    It was surely Fuþark - the term comes from the first six letters in the alphabet, "F-U-Þ-A-R-K", the arrangement of which didn't change even in Anglo-Saxon runes (although there was a shift of /a/>/o/, but that's just diachronics)