Icelandic: Líta út / -lega

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by ShakeyX, Sep 11, 2013.

1. ShakeyX Senior Member

British English
    I know you use the adverb "vel" to say someone looks good/nice...

þú lítur vel út.

And I can't source them but I am sure I've seen written "Þú lítur fallega út" which would make sense as it's another adverb, meaning "You look beautiful / You look beautifully out"

So my question is, is this phrase exclusively for adverbs in order to get the corresponding english sentence, which uses an adjective "You look *adjective*".

So do I require an adverb form of an adjective in order to make this construction in Icelandic. What if I want to say someone looks crazy, sexy, scary, do I have to use crazy-lega, sexy-lega, scary-lega (whatever those words may be) or is this construction limited?

For example is it possible to say you look tall/small, could someone give that example. I don't think there is an adverb such as... lítillega or such

2. Silver_Biscuit

Silver_Biscuit Senior Member

Reykjavík
    English - UK
    Generally you use the adverb, yes (adverb is not really a form of an adjective, by the way, it's a separate word class). You can also say "Þú lítur út fyrir að vera (adjective / noun)" which means more "You look like you're (adjective / noun)", I would guess that's the way to say that someone looks tall, for example (Hann lítur út fyrir að vera hár).

3. Silver_Biscuit

Reykjavík
    English - UK
    P.S. There is an adverb lítillega, but it doesn't mean what you'd want it to mean there, you're right.

4. ShakeyX Senior Member

British English
    Yeh sorry about my less than proper usage of terms, I do actually know this stuff I just write in the style of a thought train (something I know I need to work on). But yeh I just meant that the adverb and adjective share common features not that one is an adverb of the other.

Þú lítur út fyrir að vera maður sem ég hef hitt áður... normal way to say "You look like a guy i've seen before". Maybe switch maður for Einhver?

5. Silver_Biscuit

Reykjavík
    English - UK
    Nah... I think that would be "Þú lítur út eins og maður sem ég hef séð áður" (if it's a specific guy you have in mind, that is).

Edit: Do you mean you think you've seen the guy before, or that this is definitely a different guy, but he looks like someone you've seen before?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013