Icelandic: language abbreviations

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Gavril, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA

How would the abbreviated words below (in blue) be pronounced in speech?

"Is. fnjóskur er samstofna sænsk. fnöske"

2. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Why would they be pronounced any differently? Just the same as the word they stand for, right? We don't pronounce such abbreviations in English differently, I don't think. If you were reading then you'd just say the full word. Is there a reason you suspect that Icelanders would actually try to say such a word written down? I've not heard of anything like that, for Icelandic or English. Would be interesting if they did, but I am doubtful. I must have seen "OE" and "ME" dozens and dozens of times on lecture slides and no lecturer has actually said those words phonetically, but, "Old English", "Middle English", etc. As far as I knew, it was just a convention to save time when writing, but had no effect on how you'd pronounce a word/abbreviation.
  3. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    My question is, how do "is.", "sænsk.", etc. sound when they're pronounced as full words in this context?

I can see at least three possibilities:

- Noun in the genitive singular: Íslensku fnjóskur er samstofna sænsku fnöske.

- Strong (neuter) adjective: Íslenskt fnjóskur er samstofna sænsku fnöske.

- Weak (neuter) adjective: Íslenska fnjóskur er samstofna sænska fnöske.

Which (if any) of these is correct?

Differently from what? I've never seen the full (non-abbreviated) form of an Icelandic language abbreviation as used in this context -- i.e., when it precedes a word in that language ("sænsk. fnöske", "is. fnjóskur", etc. ) -- which is why I asked the question.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  4. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA

Can anyone help me with this question? :)

I.e., if you were to un-abbreviate the words "is." and "sænsk." in the sentence below, how would they be written?

"Is. fnjóskur er samstofna sænsk. fnöske."

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  5. NoMoreMrIceGuy Senior Member

I don't think there is any rule for what to say. Personally, I would say íslenska/sænska. As for written, I would put it behind the word and write á íslensku/á sænsku.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  6. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Takk, Ekki-meira-herra-Ísgaur. :)
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013