Icelandic: Leita

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by StunningNorway, Jul 14, 2013.

1. StunningNorway Junior Member

Australia
    English - Australia
    Hi

My mother's name was Leita. This name was unheard of, and family members were never quite sure where my grandparents got the name from. I was surprised and delighted to see the word on an Icelandic site. Was this word ever used anywhere in Iceland, (or Scandinavia) as a girl's name???

We now have a niece called Leita (named after Mum), and the name is still unique. Nobody seems to know its origin, but my family members are eager for me to find out if the name is somehow linked to Iceland.

Thank you.
    :)

2. Nemabrincar Junior Member

Icelandic
    Hi

I've never seen or heard it in Icelandic. "leita" is a verb in Icelandic, so it might have showed up because of that. Could you post the site you found?

Cheers

3. Silver_Biscuit

Silver_Biscuit Senior Member

Reykjavík
    English - UK
    Yes it must have been the verb (which means to look for, to seek). I checked the directory of Icelandic names for you and it's not there, neither is it in the book Nöfn Íslendinga (Names of Icelanders). How do you pronounce this name? In Icelandic the verb is pronounced LAY-ta.

4. StunningNorway Junior Member

Australia
    English - Australia

5. StunningNorway Junior Member

Australia
    English - Australia
    Hi

Thank you for searching for 'Leita', in Icelandic names. I guess that it remains a mystery to us, as to where the name came from!! We all pronounce the name as LEE-ta. ;)

6. Nemabrincar Junior Member

Icelandic
  7. StunningNorway Junior Member

Australia
    English - Australia
    Hi Nemabrincar

Thank you so much
    !! An excellent, helpful article. So, Leita is definitely not a name of Icelandic origin. :(