Icelandic: Meiri/Meira

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by ShakeyX, Sep 11, 2013.

1. ShakeyX Senior Member

British English

BART: Má ég fá meiri límabaunir?

Meiri here I believe to be the adjective mikill in it's comparative (miðstig) form. Correct me if i'm wrong.

LISA: Auðvitað.

BART: Meira en þetta

My question is, what is meira here, is it an adverb, what's the root of the adverb.. why has it changed to an adverb? When the indication is still more límabaunir.
  2. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Meiri: agreeing with plural word following it
    Meira: not with noun, can be seen as generalised neuter, still an adjective.

Comparative miðstig of adjectives behaves a little weirdly. It's -i for all cases in masculine and feminine, but -a in neuter. Then -i for all plurals.
    I don't think it would be wrong to still use meiri in that case because it can be interpreted as agreeing with the noun (being elliptical).
  3. Donnerstag Senior Member

Reykjavik, Iceland
    I'd personally consider this to be wrong usage. I'd always say má ég fá fleiri baunir.
  4. ShakeyX Senior Member

British English
    Oh yes I have read something about this before, when should I choose to use fleiri over meiri/meira
  5. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Well it depends what gender and number of a noun you're referring to, that determines what you should use.
    Though DT raises a good point, it should be fleiri. It's like our much/more distinction in English. For countable things you use more, for uncountable things you use much.

So, fleiri baunir, but I'm sure you know in a shop when you're about to pay, someone will say, "Fleira?" which is the general non-specific neuter.

Mikill -> meiri/a
    Margur -> fleiri/a

You'd ask for meira smjör but fleiri pennar (? weird example I know but I'm tired).
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013