1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Icelandic: Spánarslagur

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Daniel20, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Daniel20 Junior Member

England
    English
    Hi all,

I'm just translating a short piece from DV.is on the Champion's League draw. When giving the details of the draw, the article states:

I've translated that as:

I wasn't sure on the 'dróst gegn' bit, as it translated as 'contracted against'. But mainly the phrase 'Spánarslagur' threw me, so I translated it as 'Spanish battle' - I'm sure that's not correct. Any help?

Takk fyrir,

Dan.

2. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Au contraire! I can't think of a good way to put something like that in English, but you're totally right that it means some sort of competitive fight/struggle between two Spanish teams. Okay, 'Spanish battle' doesn't sound correct because it's never used in that sort of context, but you've got the meaning understood. In order to make something like that sound natural you'd really have to just take the idea, understand it, and find any sort of way to make it sound okay in English. My attempt would be: "... then there will be an all-Spanish playoff between Barcelona and Atletico Madrid."

About dróst gegn - from dragast gegn. Draga - draw. Dragast - to be drawn. Dragast gegn - to be drawn against.
    "Chelsea dróst gegn Paris St. Germain," would then be, "Chelsea were/have been drawn against Paris St. Germain."

3. Daniel20 Junior Member

England
    English
    Oh, good! Actually, a 'battle' is usually a good way of putting footballing matters. 'All-Spanish playoff' sounds very American! Thanks though, I'll work on how to try and express that a bit better as what I have does sound a bit stumbling.

Whilst we're here, take a look at the first sentence of the article:

I translated this as 'English title-holders Manchester United have a difficult task ahead, as the team face European Champion's Bayern Munich in the final-8 of the Champion's League'. I'm not sure on multiple things here. Erfitt - tricky, or difficult? Fyrir höndum - ahead or on their hands? And then the next bit throws me with the 'en...' as I had always thought 'en' is 'but', but that just doesn't fit. I think I have the meaning down, but how it'd be best translated I'm not entirely sure.

Takk!

4. Segorian Senior Member

Icelandic & Swedish
    Well, as you say, you have the meaning down, so it’s basically up to you to find the right words to express it.

The word en has various uses. Although it most frequently corresponds to ‘but’, it is sometimes better rendered with ‘and’! In this case, you have hit on the right meaning: en is often used to introduce an explicative clause.

5. Daniel20 Junior Member

England
    English
    Thanks so much Alex and Segorian - really appreciate it. On the fyrir höndum however, is that a phrase that means specifically 'ahead'? Or does it simply mean 'to have to deal with' so could be either ahead or on their hands or whatever?

Many thanks guys.