1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Icelandic: the + [name]

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Gavril, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Sæl,

How could you translate the highlighted phrase with the into Icelandic?

A: Ég heiti Gnýr Veturliðason; gaman að kynnast þér.
    B: *The* Gnýr Veturliðason?? Ég held að við veiddum aborra fyrir 20 árum síðan á sama skipinu í Eystrasaltinu!

Takk

2. Silver_Biscuit

Silver_Biscuit Senior Member

Reykjavík
    English - UK
    Well there are only two people called Gnýr in Iceland (and neither of them are Veturliðason) so this is an unlikely situation; you'd remember someone with such a weird name.

But speaking seriously, there is not really an Icelandic equivalent to this, it's simply a turn of phrase that exists in English and not in Icelandic. If you wanted to confirm that someone with a slightly more common name is the person you are thinking of, you'd have to say it in a different way, probably using "sá/sú" and then a detail about the person you are thinking of.

A: Róbert Gunnarsson heiti ég.
    B: Ha, ertu kannski sá Róbert Gunnarsson sem var með bróður mínum í háskóla?

For example.

3. Silver_Biscuit

Reykjavík
    English - UK
    Just to confirm, by "the Gnýr Veturliðasson" which did you mean?

a) The famous Gnýr Veturliðasson, the one people would most think of when they heard the name (like the Jón Sigurðsson would be Jón Sigurðsson forseti).
    b) The Gnýr Veturliðasson that B used to know, not famous per se but the person B is thinking of.

Because I answered for option b). Option a) you would probably just use a noun specifying what the person is famous for. Something like this maybe:

A: Ég hitti Hallgrím Helgason um daginn.
    B: Hallgrím Helgason höfundurinn?

4. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    I meant b) -- I thought about writing a second example with a famous name to see if the two cases were handled differently.

Does Icelandic have an (approximate) equivalent of English "the famous [X]", where you don't specify exactly what the person is famous for?

Takk

5. Silver_Biscuit

Reykjavík
    English - UK
    I'm not sure, I would have guessed "Jón Jónsson frægi" but I tried googling around and couldn't find any examples so I suppose not...

6. NoMoreMrIceGuy Senior Member

Kallinge, Sweden
    Icelandic
    Hinn eini sanni Jón Jónsson

7. Cobold Junior Member

Standard German
    Some constructions I have come across:
    Alexander mikli
    Ólafur hinn digri
    hinn frægi Harry Potter.

Though of course the last one is out of a translation, I don't know how idiomatic it is.