1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Icelandic: Time

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by ShakeyX, Jul 15, 2013.

1. ShakeyX Senior Member

British English
    Fylkið (enska: The Matrix) er kvikmynd sem var fyrst sýnd í kvikmyndahúsum 31. mars 1999.

I am just curious about how the date is expressed without any sense of "On this date" "On the 31st" it just says "was shown in filmhouse... 31st"

Is there anything here that is being omitted or is this the standard way to state it.. Also what case is the 31st and Mars and 1991 being put in? As I have no idea how to read this aloud.

2. Silver_Biscuit

Silver_Biscuit Senior Member

Reykjavík
    English - UK
    You can do that in English as well. The Matrix is a film that was first shown in cinemas 31st March 1999. That's fine.

Years and months don't really change, mars is always mars, 1999 would be nítján hundruð níutíu og níu (1 to 4 are expressed in neuter so 2002 = tvö þúsund og tvö). There is a techical difference between the nominative and the accusative with these but since they are the same forms you don't need to worry.

Thirty-first is basically two weak adjectives together, so if you say that is IS 31. mars you say þrítugasti og fyrsti, but if something happened ON 31. mars then you say þrítugasta og fyrsta.

3. ShakeyX Senior Member

British English
    I think I know but I'm just going to ask. What's the reason the years conform to the neutral and the adjectives in 31. seem to conform to the masculine

4. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Ár = hvorugkyn
    Dagur = karlkyn

:)