Icelandic: to want someone to

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by AatM, Mar 17, 2013.

1. AatM Senior Member

Hi guys,

I'm really intrigued to know how you say in Icelandic "to want someone to do something". From my experience of Romance languages, I've realised that using the infinitive along with the objective pronoun is quite a unique aspect of English, with all the other languages that I've studied (French, Spanish, Italian) using instead the "to want that someone + (subj.) something" structure. But with Icelandic being my first non-Romance language what I'd very much like to know is whether this feature of the English language something that is shared among the Germanic group (specifically in Icelandic obviously!), or whether it is just a quirk that has arisen from the melting pot of influences? Is "Ég vil að þú farir." the kind of thing I'm looking for?

2. sindridah Senior Member

I've no idea about the grammar rule behind it, alxmrphi is in that department;D But yeah for example:

I want you to go to the store and buy some milk = Ég vil að þú farir út í búð fyrir mig að kaupa mjólk.
    And I guess it's approriate to compliment you on one "l" thing in ég vil. It's very common mistakes by natives to put 2 l in vil there.
  3. AatM Senior Member

Thank you very much sindridah! Oh, that's interesting - the irregular verbs catch everyone out!