1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Icelanic: Það fer sýra í rúmið

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by ShakeyX, Jul 10, 2013.

1. ShakeyX Senior Member

British English
    Cut the story short, Homer is cutting D batteries down to the size of Tripple A's...

Marge says... Það fer sýra í rúmið...

As sýra is female it seems like það and sýra are both trying to be the subject...

The english says "You are getting acid in the bed" however this looks more like Acid goes/will go into the bed.

But is there an error or am I missing something because I don't understand why it isn't just... Sýra fer í rúmið.

2. sindridah Senior Member

Reykjavík
    Icelandic
    You aren't missing anything, það is a "fake-subject" ( gervifrumlag ) I would assume.
    It's just not very nice to have "frumlagseyðu" in the subtitles, that is without "það"

It's just a matter of professionalism of the subtitle guys all though there is nothing wrong with skipping "það fer"

Sýra would be the object right? Been so long since I last studied Icelandic :(

3. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Yeah, it's exactly like Sindri said.
    Although sýra is not 'technically' an object, it's not really intentionally going into the bed.
    Rather than having a subject gap (frumlagseyða) you can put in the dummy subject (gervifrumlag).

The acid can't make itself go into the bed, so it's weird to put it before fara.
    You can put it after it and stick það before it to fill the gap and also get around it that way.

4. Tjahzi

Tjahzi Senior Member

Umeå, Sweden
    Swedish (Göteborg)
    Well, consider the different ways to structurally analyse this sentence. Sure, Það is the subject. However, there are (at least) two possible objects. Either just sýra, or the entire phrase, sýra í rúmið.

Now, if we consider the English translation, what is it really that Homer is getting? As in, what is the outcome of his action? Acid, or acid in the bed? Clearly, the acid was present already, the result was rather that it ended up in the bed. As such, we can conclude that the "entire" phrase sýra í rúmið is the object, and within that phrase, sýra is the subject.

Edit: ...and I do of course agree with the above posters.