ID cards to monitor pupil dilation

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Jeepster, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Jeepster

Jeepster Senior Member

He’s already decided we all need ID cards so he can monitor our pupil dilation, and I bet he would just love to be able to keep tabs on us in our cars too.

(J.Clarkson The Top Gear Years)

Here JC talks about Tony Blair. What cards he mentions?

2. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    ID = identification

3. Jeepster

Jeepster Senior Member

how do they monitor pupil dilation and what for?

4. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    A simple eye test can monitor pupil dilation. If you are high, for numerous reasons, your pupils become dilated.

5. Jeepster

Jeepster Senior Member

Then how it corellates with ID card? Is there eye-tests history coded?

6. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    They don't (or should I say they didn't, as ID cards were cancelled by the subsequent administration). It's just another of Clarkson's hyperbolic rhetorical flourishes.
    He was annoyed by the creeping onset of totalitarian-style monitoring of the the citizenry.
    (Think: massive tax-payer outlay to investigate something as trivial as an individual's highly personal state of arousal - with some no-doubt spurious justification.) (Cross-posted)

7. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    The world Clarkson writes about is not always the real world - it is his style to "make up" things like this, and new usages for old expressions as you have found in your reading and questions here. Many of these things you should not take "literally" but as "tongue-in-cheek" attempts at humour - his writings are to be enjoyed (and sometimes you need help with that, just like many native English eakers do) but not used as the basis to learn English. :)

8. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    Source text:

There’s another, more worrying issue too. Because the technology already exists to monitor every car on the road, I’m amazed His Toniness hasn’t got involved. He’s already decided we all need ID cards so he can monitor our pupil dilation and I bet he would just love to be able to keep tabs on us in our cars too.

<< --- Jeremy Clarkson on mollycoddling - BBC Top Gear --- >>

I think it's playing on the fact that Tony Blair may have wanted people who receive medical marijuana, or who use marijuana, to have ID cards? I'm not up-to-speed on UK politics in this regard. The reference (source text) is from 2005.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2013
  9. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    Thanks for the link, perpend. Did you find anything in the source text that might substantiate your claim?

10. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    "substantiate" is a strong word. :)

Isn't a reference to "pupil dilation" about drugs, in this case?

11. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    >Isn't a reference to "pupil dilation" about drugs, in this case?
    No, it would depend on the context. It could be a reference to lighting conditions, levels of excitement, sexual arousal, or an indication that you're a replicant.
    In this context, I reckon it's the first far-fetched example that he happened upon.
    I'm not even certain that marijuana has any bearing on pupil dilation ... whereas I know that heroine-style drugs will shrink them, and that hallucinogens and MDMA like drugs have the opposite effect. (wikipedia link)
    Besides, the police can test for 'drug-driving' in the UK, which pretty much amounts to testing for driving under the influence of marijuana - and it's not a test pupil dilation (as you might imagine that would be rather unreliable).

I think you need to read the OP quote in the same way that you might read the following from later in the article: "My son, who’s a strapping nine-year-old, likes to play rugby for the local town on a Sunday morning. Obviously, I’m not allowed to video the games in case the tape falls into the hand of a paedophile, but then there’d be no point because it’s not rugby as you’d recognise it."

I would hope that the underlined part doesn't actually strike you as being likely to be true.

12. velisarius

velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    Iris recognition technology, biometric identification: these are (or could be in the future) alternatives to the plain vanilla I.D. card, which has not yet been adopted in Britain. I think Clarkson is mixing up "pupil dilation" and "iris recognition".

Eyes.com has a short explanation of this technique.

13. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    >> I think Clarkson is mixing up "pupil dilation" and "iris recognition"

Yes, but deliberately so, I'd say.

14. Linkway

Linkway Senior Member

British English
    Iris or retina?

Clarkson may be politically whacky, but also has astute scriptwriters.

He may be implying that government would use biometric ID cards as a cover for snooping into everyone's eyes and storing the data.