1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

I'd "very much" appreciate it (in that order)

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Vanskap, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Vanskap Junior Member

Madrid (Spain), Spanish
    Is it correct to say "I would very much appreciate it", in that order? or should I say "I would appreciate it a lot"? I'm asking it because I've heard it like that several time but them I've been corrected by my non-native English teacher (a very good teacher, nevertheless!)
    Thank you!

2. dn88 Senior Member

pl
    Maybe that's because "very much" sounds better if placed at the very end of a sentence, that said, you can change your example to "I would appreciate it very much". But I really don't think that "I would very much appreciate it" is wrong, just a different word order.

3. tepatria Senior Member

Onondaga, Ontario
    Canadian English
    "I'd very much appreciate it" is very widely used. Although it may not be exactly grammatically correct, I think it places the emphasis on how much you would appreciate it. Your teacher is not wrong, niether are you.

4. tepatria Senior Member

Onondaga, Ontario
    Canadian English
    Neither - not niether - although the rule is i before e except after c. Sorry, early morning typo.

5. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    I'm just wondering what grammatical rule "I would very much appreciate" breaks. This order, in this type of sentence, is very much preferred by me.

6. Vanskap Junior Member

Madrid (Spain), Spanish
    Thank you very much to you all!

7. Flash3 Senior Member

United States and American English
    "I would very much appreciate it" doesn't sound good to my AE ears.
    "I'd appreciate it a lot" is far more common in my opinion, and it's preferrable in informal AE.

8. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    "I would very much appreciate it" sounds perfectly fine and completely natural to my own AE ears. While there is nothing wrong with it, I find nothing preferable about "I'd apprecate it a lot".

9. Flash3 Senior Member

United States and American English
    Maybe it's a regionalism, because I rarely hear "I would very much appreciate it" down here in South Florida, whereas "I'd apprecate it a lot" is widely used.

10. Vanskap Junior Member

Madrid (Spain), Spanish
    Thanks again for your help!

11. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    I find that "appreciate" is often used in irritation. And even when it is not, there is a chance that the listener will think so.

Examples"

"I would appreciate it if you turn that damned radio down".

"I would appreciate it if you showed up at work on time."

"I would appreciate it if everyone showed me some respect."

On the other hand, if you leave out "would" that intonation of irritability is lost.

"I appreciated it that you turned the radio down."

"I appreciate it that you come to work on time."

"I appreciate it that everyone shows me respect."

This is just a point to be recognized when using the phrase "I would appreciate it..."

12. Vanskap Junior Member

Madrid (Spain), Spanish
    Thanks a lot for your point of view, Packard, and your so detailed explanation! :thumbsup:

13. samfb007 New Member

tagalog-philippines
    How about "I appreciate it very much" is this correct?please help,thank you..