1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

identification card which is on your chest

Discussion in 'Suomi (Finnish)' started by Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Extra Virgin Olive Oil Senior Member

Pariisi
    kiina
    What is this thing called, for example, that I have on my chest, to show that I work for some company? There is usually a name and a photo in it, and the company in which the one. For example, people who work at YLE often have them when they're at work.

The one word that comes to mind is tunnuslevy, but it turns out that it is only used in the military.

And what is the right word to have it and remove it from my clothes? How about those things where the rope is in your neck? (as opposed to those who should be fastened on my clothes)

2. Grumpy Old Man Senior Member

I have never worn one, so I don't know the official word, but I would call it henkilötunnus. Some exemplary sentences:

Hänellä oli henkiötunnus takissaan / paidassaan / kaulassaan.
    Hän otti henkilötunnuksen[sa] pois. / Hän poisti / irrotti henkilötunnuksen[sa].

3. Spongiformi Senior Member

Finnish
    "Nimilappu" would be a bit less official sounding alternative to GOM's suggestion. You often print or fill such a thing just for a day when visiting certain conferences and such. It might contain basic info like who you are and where you are from.

4. Jyrkkä Jätkä

Jyrkkä Jätkä Junior Member

Finland
    Finnish
    It's either henkilökortti, kulkukortti, or id-kortti. In some construction sites it might be called työmaakortti.
    Visitors use vierailijakortti.

5. Hakro

Hakro Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Finnish - Finland
    In different contexts the identification card can be called tunnistekortti, kulku(lupa)kortti, työmaakortti or ID-kortti.

Sometimes it's called henkilökortti, but I'd use this word only for the official identification card that you can get from the police.

I wouldn't say henkilötunnus either because this means the identification number of a person with the date of birth (ddmmyy) and four check numbers (or three numbers and a letter). This is sometimes called sosiaaliturvatunnus although in fact social security number was used only until the end of year 1970.