Identify English stressed syllable

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Kane, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Kane

Kane Senior Member

Spain
    French - Canada
    Hi

A Spanish friend of mine asked me if I had a trick to help him identify the stressed syllable in English words. I have been thinking and looking around and I cannot find anything. Can somebody help me?

Thanks

2. kelt

kelt Senior Member

Prague, CZ
    Czech Republic, Czech
    Can't say - I guess there are no rules concerning the stressed syllable. Or there might be, but then they will be so complex like one rule per word.

Take into account that English vocabulary is made up from words from many languages.

I'd advise that as soon as your friend has learnt, say, one or two hundred words he's pretty sure to get a grasp of some rules of how much of English is pronounced.

3. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    There are rules, but they are very lengthy. I would advise your Spanish friend to use a dictionary that shows the stressed syllable.

4. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

English is not nearly as systematic as Spanish regarding stressed syllables. I think the Spanish method of marking any stressed syllable other than the penultimate one with an accent mark is a brilliantly logical system.

5. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    Some rules are suggested here, as sound shift says, they are complicated, and there are many exceptions:
    http://www.englishclub.com/pronunciation/word-stress-rules.htm

I think it is probably best not to worry about it too much and let them come naturally through listening to and speaking with good English speakers.

6. Kane

Kane Senior Member

Spain
    French - Canada
    Thank you all so very much. I appreciate your help very much.
    Matching Mole: I really like the web you suggested.

7. ernest_

ernest_ Senior Member

Barcelona
    Catalan, Spain