If ever

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by ANEES, Feb 12, 2014.

1. ANEES Senior Member

Translate in Arabic

If ever I marry, I will marry that woman whom I saw in the forest.
  2. Rmacaw Senior Member

ملبورن استراليا
    English انجليزية
    Let's have a crack then...

ان في اي وقت ازوج فساتزوج على تلك المراة التي نظرتها في الغابة

Go easy on me, native speakers...
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  3. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Sometimes, we translate "if ever" with إذا حدث و+الفعل الماضي (though it has the meaning of the future):
    إذا حدث وتزوجت، فسأتزوج تلك المرأة التي رأيتُها في الغابة
    A more common way maybe is to say something like:
    إذا قررت يومًا أن أتزوج، فسأتزوج تلك المرأة التي رأيتها في الغابة

Rmacaw, your translation has few mistakes, but it is not completely wrong, so don't worry. :) For example, that ان at the beginning, the verb is أتزوج (you forgot the ت), and it's directly transitive so it doesn't take the preposition على .
    Also, it's more common to use رأى for "to see" than نظر.
  4. analeeh Senior Member

English - UK
    I'm not sure about the 'if ever' part (you can express it literally with في أي وقت but I'm not sure this is v. idiomatic and for that you need a native speaker) but the rest of it is definitely slightly dodgy. إن تزوجت يومًا ما (perhaps) - زوّج means 'marry X off', تزوّج, its reciprocal, means 'get married'. I'm not sure you can combine فـ and سـ, someone once told me that you can ~~never have two particles on the same verb!!!~~ but I'm not sure this is strictly true. You generally I think تزوج من somebody rather than على, although Hans-Wehr says that على is also acceptable. Finally, نظر إلى is 'look at' rather than 'see', I think (and generally requires a preposition) - رأيتها is probs better? إن is almost always followed directly by its verb, and I think demands both halves of the conditional sentence in the perfect? So maybe:

إن تزوجت يومًا ما تزوجت من تلك المرأة التي رأيتها في الغابة

Edit: ninja'd by a native speaker!!
  5. Rmacaw Senior Member

ملبورن استراليا
    English انجليزية
    thanks, great feedback, please don't be shy about correcting anything I put on this forum - like most, that is why I am on here...
  6. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Not at all. :)
    Actually, I agree with most of what you said. And I like your rendering إن تزوجت يومًا ما , you just need to indicate the future in جواب الشرط by using السين أو سوف, saying: فسأتزوج .
    The only case where 3ala is used, as far as I know, is when you say تزوّج على زوجته = he took a second wife.
  7. analeeh Senior Member

English - UK
    What is the reading if you don't include the future particle? Or does it just sound odd? The reason I didn't include it was because I felt like it was unambiguously future but maybe you need it here just to make it sound right, I don't know.

Oh wait I didn't look at my translation before asking this - I put both halves in the perfect, right? Can إن take a second half in the imperfect? I know إذا can.

Could you say:

إذا تزوجت يومًا ما أتزوج من تلك المرأة التي رأيتها في الغابة

without the فسوف or فسـ?
  8. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    It works but it is somewhat unusual in modern standard.
  9. ANEES Senior Member

I got the benefit of all of your participation. Thank you very much