1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

If ever

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by ANEES, Feb 12, 2014.

1. ANEES Senior Member

العربية
    Translate in Arabic

If ever I marry, I will marry that woman whom I saw in the forest.

2. Rmacaw Senior Member

ملبورن استراليا
    English انجليزية
    Let's have a crack then...

ان في اي وقت ازوج فساتزوج على تلك المراة التي نظرتها في الغابة

Go easy on me, native speakers...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  3. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Sometimes, we translate "if ever" with إذا حدث و+الفعل الماضي (though it has the meaning of the future):
    إذا حدث وتزوجت، فسأتزوج تلك المرأة التي رأيتُها في الغابة
    A more common way maybe is to say something like:
    إذا قررت يومًا أن أتزوج، فسأتزوج تلك المرأة التي رأيتها في الغابة

Rmacaw, your translation has few mistakes, but it is not completely wrong, so don't worry. :) For example, that ان at the beginning, the verb is أتزوج (you forgot the ت), and it's directly transitive so it doesn't take the preposition على .
    Also, it's more common to use رأى for "to see" than نظر.

4. analeeh Senior Member

English - UK
    I'm not sure about the 'if ever' part (you can express it literally with في أي وقت but I'm not sure this is v. idiomatic and for that you need a native speaker) but the rest of it is definitely slightly dodgy. إن تزوجت يومًا ما (perhaps) - زوّج means 'marry X off', تزوّج, its reciprocal, means 'get married'. I'm not sure you can combine فـ and سـ, someone once told me that you can ~~never have two particles on the same verb!!!~~ but I'm not sure this is strictly true. You generally I think تزوج من somebody rather than على, although Hans-Wehr says that على is also acceptable. Finally, نظر إلى is 'look at' rather than 'see', I think (and generally requires a preposition) - رأيتها is probs better? إن is almost always followed directly by its verb, and I think demands both halves of the conditional sentence in the perfect? So maybe:

إن تزوجت يومًا ما تزوجت من تلك المرأة التي رأيتها في الغابة

Edit: ninja'd by a native speaker!!

5. Rmacaw Senior Member

ملبورن استراليا
    English انجليزية
    thanks, great feedback, please don't be shy about correcting anything I put on this forum - like most, that is why I am on here...

6. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Not at all. :)
    Actually, I agree with most of what you said. And I like your rendering إن تزوجت يومًا ما , you just need to indicate the future in جواب الشرط by using السين أو سوف, saying: فسأتزوج .
    The only case where 3ala is used, as far as I know, is when you say تزوّج على زوجته = he took a second wife.

7. analeeh Senior Member

English - UK
    What is the reading if you don't include the future particle? Or does it just sound odd? The reason I didn't include it was because I felt like it was unambiguously future but maybe you need it here just to make it sound right, I don't know.

Oh wait I didn't look at my translation before asking this - I put both halves in the perfect, right? Can إن take a second half in the imperfect? I know إذا can.

Could you say:

إذا تزوجت يومًا ما أتزوج من تلك المرأة التي رأيتها في الغابة

without the فسوف or فسـ?

8. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    It works but it is somewhat unusual in modern standard.

9. ANEES Senior Member

العربية
    I got the benefit of all of your participation. Thank you very much