1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

If found, please return to...

Discussion in 'Magyar (Hungarian)' started by kevindosi, Aug 27, 2013.

1. kevindosi Junior Member

English
    I have a travel journal, and I want to write on it in many languages: "If found, please contact/return to..."
    Any help would be appreciated :)

2. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    Hello kevindosi and welcome to our forum:)

There is a bit of a problem with the bit "contact/return to" because depending on what comes afterwards (name, address, tel. no?), the wording may vary. (But it is especially "contact" that is problem really because there is no such short way I can think of that can be used like this in Hungarian.)

If found, please return to - could be translated as: Ha megtalálja, kérem küldje el a következő címre:... (-> to the following address).

3. Olivier0 Senior Member

Toulouse
    français - France
    An idea for the problem of name/address/phone: "return to me" Ha megtalálja, kérem küldje el nekem: ...
    -- Olivier

4. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    In the meantime, I have thought of a way of mentioning "contact"= értesítsen.
    If followed by a telephone number, you would say: értesítsen a következő telefon számon: ... = contact me at the following telephone number:...

For the previous, another (a bit shorter) version: Ha megtalálja, kérem küldje el ide:... (ide = here, followed by an address)

Olivier, although "nekem" is perfectly good in your suggestion above, it is a) doesn't follow the "to the point/impersonal" style in English, b) it sounds a bit superfluous in Hungarian, even though it is true that something more is necessary than what appears in English.

5. franknagy Senior Member

The Hungarian heavily uses default personal pronouns that is the counterparts of "me", "to me" are omitted from the sentences in usual cases.
    We do not say in normal cases
    but only

If the Hungarian speaker emphasizes some strange case then the personal pronouns are used before the predicate.
    Example:
    "If you find her bag then please send it to me." [Silent sense: "Do not send it to her."]
    I hope this helps.
    Regards
    Frank