1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

If I had money I would buy a big house

Discussion in 'English Only' started by user_gary, Mar 25, 2007.

1. user_gary Senior Member

India - Jharkhand
    India - Hindi
    If I had money I would buy a big house. (2nd conditional)

If I had had money I would have bought a big house. (3rd conditional)

What is the difference in the meaning with the above sentences?

Please explain it.

2. Bil

Bil Senior Member

English USA
    Hi

This is an idiomatic and more economical way of saying, "If I were to have the money" or "If I were to have had the money."

3. dn88 Senior Member

pl
    My interpretation :)

If I had money I would buy a big house. - It expresses your wish (at the moment of speaking). Something similar to 1st conditional: If I have money, I'll buy a big house (however, this relates to the future).

If I had had money I would have bought a big house. - This sentence refers to the past and slightly suggests that now you regret not having money at that time. The fact of not buying a house (and also the fact of not having money for it) cannot be reversed. 3rd conditional emphasizes that something would have been done in the past on some condition.

4. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    Hi Gary:

If I had money I would buy a big house. (2nd conditional) means you don't have money now but that if you had some you would buy a big house.

If I had had money I would have bought a big house. means you didn't have money at a moment or period in the past, but that if you had had some you would have bought the house.