If you come across another case...

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by HighlyAcidic, Sep 4, 2013.

1. HighlyAcidic Senior Member

Washington DC
    English - USA
    Hello,

I'm trying to write something like the following phrases in Russian:

"If you come across another case..."
    "If you happen to hear of another case..."
    "If you find out about another case..."

To me, the most obvious translation would be "Если вы услышите/узнаете о другом случае..." but such variants don't seem to appear in Google search at all, leading me to think there is something unnatural about this construction (but what?!)

What is the correct, colloquial way to translate these expressions? Maybe something with the word сведение?

I'd appreciate any help, thank you!

2. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    It strongly depends on the continuation of your phrase, i.e. to what extent it is formal or colloquial.
    Your variant sounds too formal. Less formally we can say something like this:

Если вы узнаете, что кто-то еще (встретился с такими же трудностями)...
    Если вы услышите о других подобных случаях (насилия в семье)...
    Etc.

By the way the word сведение is also not very peculiar for the colloquial speech. Если у вас появятся сведения о подобных случаях... is good for the official announcement.
    But if you need some really colloquial variant, better provide the context.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  3. Lotto74 Junior Member

Ekaterinburg city - Russia
    Russian - Russia
    As Maroseika mentioned, the word "сведения" is quite formal. In the colloquial speech people usually use shorter phrases. For example, "Если столкнешься с таким же, то..." or "Если услышишь об этом опять, то..."

4. Saluton Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    Context!!!

5. WillyAbs Junior Member

Russia
    Russian
    Hello,
    Without any context:

"Если Вам встретится другой случай..."
    "Если Вам случится услышать о другом случае..."
    "Если вы узнаете о другом случае..."

For me it seems translated literally and absolutely acceptable.

6. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Just try to think of the second part of each sentence, and you'll see how strongly this construction is context-sensitive. Although it is quite common and natural for English, I can hardly imagine colloquial Russian phrase to sound natural with any of your beginnings.

7. WillyAbs Junior Member

Russia
    Russian
    'If you get to know that somebody else ...' - if we have 'case' we should translate it. If we haven't we shouldn't. I think necessity of this word depends on content in both languages.
    But I think this argue isn't interesting and useful to the topicstarter.

8. CKM367 Senior Member

Russian
    "Если вы услышите/узнаете о другом случае" seems to me ok, if I have grasped the sense correctly. The context would help. That may sound better "Если вы услышите/узнаете о другом таком же случае..."

9. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Absolutely not. One should translate sense rather than words.

I'd say it depends first of all on the speech cliché of the two languages, which can scarcely coincide to often. Using случай whenever "case" is used, is not the best translation style.

10. WillyAbs Junior Member

Russia
    Russian
    Well, I surrender. Sometimes we translate 'take the umbrella in case it rains' as 'возьми зонт на случай дождя', sometimes as 'возьми зонт, вдруг пойдет дождь'.

11. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Even you example demonstrates various speech registers, and, not being English native, I can't say which variant is more relevant. But what I can assert definitely, is that these two Russian phrases cannot interprete one the same sense.

12. HighlyAcidic Senior Member

Washington DC
    English - USA
    Thank you, everyone, for your very helpful answers!