"If you have any further questions": is the "any" necessary?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by englishjasmin, Jan 31, 2012.

1. englishjasmin

englishjasmin Senior Member

Slavic
    Do I need to use "any" in the following? Which one do you consider more elegant?

(a) If you have any further questions regarding my experience, please let me know.

(b) If you have further questions regarding my experience, please let me know.

Thanks.

2. Old Novice

Old Novice Senior Member

Massachusetts
    USA, English
    It is not necessary. To my ear, the second is slightly more formal.

3. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    By qualifying "questions" with "regarding my experience," you have already limited the scope of the questions that you will answer.

4. Grady412

Grady412 Senior Member

United States
    English - US
    Keep in mind that both If you have any further questions or If you have further questions assumes that there were initial questions. In the cover letter to a résumé, for example, you might want to say If you have any questions regarding my experience, please let me know.

5. Hermione Golightly

Hermione Golightly Senior Member

SW London
    British English
    :tick:

I suppose that you want to let them know that you are willing to answer any, meaning 'of any sort', questions, about anything they reasonably want to know.

Any is an important word here: it implies openness and it can be strongly emphasised in speech, and therefore when the native speaker reads it. It's almost an idiom. Leaving it out risks giving a brusque even antagonistic impression.
    "If you have further questions, please contact my lawyer" Yikes! :(

Like Paul, I wonder what the point of "regarding my previous experience" is. It sounds unnecessary anyway.

Hermione

6. The Prof

The Prof Senior Member

:thumbsup: Very well put.

7. uncleted Senior Member

italian
    Hello
    I am having trouble with these two questions:
    Are there wolves in England?
    Are there any wolves in England?
    Do they have the same meaning?
    Thanks