1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

if you haven't done some already [so]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by rukiak, Mar 21, 2010.

1. rukiak Senior Member

japanese
    Hello.

"if you haven't done some already"

What is the meanig of this phrase?
    Does this equal to the meanig of "if you feel something is not enough"?

2. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    I would like to answer your question, rukiak, but I can't until you give us more information. It may be surprising, but done some has two very different meanings that I can think of right now, and there are probably more.

This is not a complete sentence. Will you please give us the whole sentence, and also tell us something about what they are talking about? (See Context and Background.)

With that information, we can be more helpful. :)

3. rukiak Senior Member

japanese
    Here are some examples.
    1.Online language teacher said that phrase after having given some free lectures, that is "if you haven't done some already, please consider subscribing to my website".

2.In the website bellow
    http://yesterday.sg/2009/04/how-many-old-places-can-you-identify/
    I'm guessing this one means "If you are boring, or not satisfied with your free-time".

4. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    I believe that in both of these, some is a mistake. They were meant to be:
    If you haven't done so already.
    If you haven't done so already means "if you haven't done whatever the writer suggests now/yet."
    Sometimes the phrase comes before the suggestions, as in your first example.
    If you haven't done so already, please consider subscribing to my website.
    It can also come afterward.
    Please consider subscribing to my website, if you haven't done so already.
    This sentence is a little odd. The teacher really wants you to subscribe, if you haven't already done it already. However, to be polite, the teacher has changed the wording, so that it is slightly ambiguous. It may mean that you should consider subscribing, if you haven't already subscribed, or it may mean that you should consider subscribing, if you haven't already considered it. There isn't much difference between the possible meanings in this particular case.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  5. rukiak Senior Member

japanese
    Ok, thank you.

Now that I watch it carefully, "so" is surely the right word.
    Sorry to bother you and thank you for the explanation.