1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

If you will go, then you shall.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by wolfbm1, Feb 20, 2013.

1. wolfbm1 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
  2. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    Yes, more or less. This is a rare example where the original difference between 'will' and 'shall' is explicitly used. If you want to go (or if you are determined to go, intent on going), then [not than!] this will happen - I declare this will happen, I will ensure it is done. Cinderella's fairy godmother told her, 'You shall go to the ball,' but she wasn't ordering a reluctant Cinderella to go.

3. wolfbm1 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Thank you, entangledbank.
    If you will go, then you shall. = if you are determined to go (condition), you will ensure it is done (result).

4. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    I don't disagree about the meaning, but I don't hear people say "If you will go, you shall". In my opinion it is not currently idiomatic and consequently not a good addition to a learner's armoury.

5. wolfbm1 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    So thinks LeTasmanien. He also told me that I could find this construction in old texts:
    "The good news that "shall" is unfashionable these days and rarely heard and I would suggest probably best avoided unless you are studying older English texts?"
    (I hope I am right in my thinking that it is a type one conditional sentence.)

6. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    I disagree with this. I hear affirmative "shall" all the time and use it myself. What I don't hear is "If you will go" in the sense of "If you want to go."

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  7. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    I think both have a limited but still living use in these senses: 'If you will tease that dog!' (which is not simply "want", I admit, more like "insist on"), and 'And so you shall!'