Igne Naturae Renovatur Integra

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by RodKaM, Jan 16, 2008.

1. I´ve read some article about the inscription "INRI", and immediately ask myself
    what represents each letter because i knew it was an abbreviation of some sentence : IGNE NATURAE RENOVATUR INTEGRA". Please, suggestions will be appreciated.

2. Probo Senior Member

Galicia. España
    Español
    Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudeorum. Salve

3. Se Aprecia Tu correspondencia "Probo"

4. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    Are you also wondering about the translation of the title sentence? In the Wiki article on INRI, I find:

Within the Alchemical tradition, the phrase [INRI] often holds a second meaning of the Latin phrase, Igne Natura Renovatur Integra; that is, "Through fire nature is reborn whole".​

5. CH-IIIX New Member

United States (English)
    I am not sure where it originates in. The first place I have seen it used was in the the Japanese graphic novel "Trinity Blood".
    The translation for "Igne Natura Renovatur Integra" is " By Flames Shall The Earth Be Reborn." I don't know where or if that is related or not.

6. brian

brian Senior Member

Montréal
    AmE (New Orleans)
    The "shall" in your translation is a bit liberal, I think. "Renovatur" is present tense, not future, and means "is reborn." I believe the sentence is just making a general statement: By flames/fire is nature/earth reborn whole. The sense, I suppose, is that nature/our world/earth is reborn in full only after being destroyed.