ik denk dat ik het lezen moet

Discussion in 'Nederlands (Dutch)' started by ElAjedrezEsLaVida, Apr 18, 2013.

1. ElAjedrezEsLaVida Senior Member

Manchester, UK
    inglés británico
    With a modal verb structure, such as "Ik denk dat..." or "Ik vind dat...", and the word order switches for the subordinate clause into the form of "[subject] [object] [verb]" instead of "[subject] [verb] [object], with an auxiliary verb such as "Ik denk dat ik het lezen moet", should be it be as such, or "Ik denk dat ik het moet lezen"? Similarly, if one has the example, "I think I should have had it read", should it be, "Ik denk dat ik het gelezen moet hebben", "Ik denk dat ik het hebben gelezen moet", or a different order?
  2. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

Dutch - Belgium
    The most natural constructions would be (at least in my use):

"Ik denk dat ik het moet lezen".
    "Ik denk dat ik het had moeten lezen".

"Ik denk dat ik het lezen moet" is also correct but in my opinion, less common, certainly in Flanders.

"Ik denk dat ik het gelezen moet hebben" or "ik denk dat ik het moet gelezen hebben" are also correct, but mean something different: they mean: "I think I must have read it".

Your last sentence: "Ik denk dat ik het hebben gelezen moet" is not correct.
  3. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    I'm sure it is not only in Belgium but also in the Netherlands the last one is not correct. The verbal forms in the preceding post are equally correct for Belgian and for Dutch language usage. I am personally of the opinion that "Ik denk dat ik het lezen moet" is correct, as Peterdg said, but I think and please correct me who wishes, in both the Netherlands and Belgium the way of "Ik denk dat ik het moet lezen" is the preferred educated, also literary way. I am not talking about my feeling but based on the literature. The spoken language may be different, i don't know about the Netherlands.
  4. bibibiben

bibibiben Senior Member

Dutch - Netherlands
    This link will be very instructive: http://taaladvies.net/taal/advies/tekst/36/. Skip to the section "Tweeledige eindgroepen met een infinitief als zelfstandig werkwoord" and you'll find all the relevant information. As you can see, a sentence like Ik denk dat ik het lezen moet is possible, but "[d]eze volgorde is wel altijd minder gewoon, behalve in het noordoostelijke deel van Nederland, waar hij algemeen gebruikt wordt."