Ik liep van je weg

Discussion in 'Nederlands (Dutch)' started by CarlitosMS, Oct 28, 2012.

1. CarlitosMS Senior Member

Murcia
    Spanish - Spain
    Hello everybody

I would like to know the meaning of this idiom which appears in the song "Ik weet wel, mijn lief" by Zjef Vanuytsel, but I never found a good translation.

En dan liep ik van je weg in de kilte van de morgen
    Met mijn ziel overhoop

Groetjes aan iedereen

Carlos M. S.

2. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    "I walked away from you", I think.

3. Lopes

Lopes Senior Member

Brussels
    Dutch (Amsterdam)
    Yeah, or just 'I left you'.

4. Couch Tomato

Couch Tomato Senior Member

Russian & Dutch
    I agree with Lopes. It implies to me that one of them broke off the relationship. It sounds rather poetic.

5. triptonizer Senior Member

Ghent - Belgium
    Nederlands - België
    I would say: "I ran away" with the suggestion he "did a runner". Met mijn ziel overhoop, his soul upset - implying it wasn't a calm, deliberate decision.
    Rather he sneaked out in the morning, pulled the door behind him and did'nt look back. But I might be carried away. :rolleyes:

[edit] Come to think of it, something else might be at play here: in the South (Flanders, where Vanuytsel comes from) "lopen" is to run, whereas in the North (Netherlands) it's more generally to walk (to run would be "rennen"). E.g. "Ik loop naar de bakker" in the Netherlands would mean "I go to the bakery" (and I'm not taking my car). In Flanders it would mean you're in a hurry: I run to the bakery.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  6. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

Trip,

In my opinion, it's got nothing to do with "rennen" (although you are right with what you say about the difference between the Netherlands and Flanders what concerns "lopen")

"Weglopen van" is "to flee/to leave something/someone"; e.g. "kinderen lopen weg van huis" because they are upset with their parents (just an example). It's like in English: "to run away from home"; as far as I know, it doesn't mean to physically run as in a competition.

Well, it's the same in Zjef's song (which, by the way, is a masterpiece of Flemish "kleinkunst", like all of the songs of his album "De zotte morgen").