1. Poema Junior Member

French - France
    Hi everyone,
    Le premier prototype du fauteuil roulant X0 a vu le jour en octobre 2006 could it be the first wheelchair prototype X0 was ??? on October 2006.

Is there an expression in english about to have seen the day or the sunrise ??

Thanks in advance.
  2. Chris' Spokesperson Senior Member

English - Ireland
    In this context I would say 'was unveiled' but I'm sure we have lots of threads on this expression if you search for 'voir le jour'.

Bonne soirée
  3. la grive solitaire

la grive solitaire Senior Member

United States, English
    I'd say: first appeared in October 2006
  4. The Prof

The Prof Senior Member

To see (the) light of day.

-His great invention, the hovercraft, first saw the light of day in 1953.
  5. Chris' Spokesperson Senior Member

English - Ireland
    This discussion is also had in full in one of the other threads but I think using 'to see the light of day' in these contexts is completely inappropriate to the implied meaning in the English. For one thing hovercrafts don't have eyes so logically they can never see (this may not be a problem in French but is instantly an issue in English) and also more commonly used in the negative: my hovercraft is much better than yours and I'm going to do everything in my power to ensure that yours never sees the light of day!

Presumably by removing its eyes.
  6. The Prof

The Prof Senior Member

While I would agree with you that this is commonly used in the negative form, I would totally disagree with your argument about it being inappropriate because something doesn´t have eyes!
    As with the equivalent French expression, it is so well established that that argument is irrelevant.

Here is the definition from The Free Dictionary:
    see the light (of day)
    a. to come into being
    b. to come to public notice
  7. Chris' Spokesperson Senior Member

English - Ireland
    That was merely pleasantry regarding the eyes :)

With precision I'd let it in at a scrape: the hovercraft finally saw the light of day in 1953. But for me it just never sounds natural on its own and suggestions for translation should really reflect common and universally understood usage. Have a look at the top results here:

All either dictionary references such as yours or else in the negative. In common usage 'voir le jour', in my opinion, should be translated with something much simpler and something which appears as commonly and frequently as the French in the positive: unveil, released, came out... depending on context of course.
  8. The Prof

The Prof Senior Member

The example I gave about the hovercraft was not my own - it just happened to be one of the very first that Google showed when I put in something along the lines of ´invention first saw light of day´. The expression is commonly used with inventions!
  9. Poema Junior Member

French - France
    first sorry if I have opent another thread about this thema whereas there were already a discussion about it. I did not think about voir le jour.

I read several articles about inventions, indeed I noticed that this idiom is used in a negative form. For instance, the ...XXX motor cut down before it saw the light.
    And I would like something really clear because it's a working invention :)).

So I will follow the advice of Chris Spokeperson to be sure because this article will be read by searchers notably (and if this idiom really highlight a negative form, well this invention presentation risks being misunderstand. So I will certainly used mere words to present this invention like la grive solitaire's suggestion.

I know that in french it could be very difficult to use the same idiom in english, sometimes some idioms could be interpreted in a positive form in english whereas it's totally the opposite in french and vice versa.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I really appreciate it.
  10. Poema Junior Member

French - France
    Just a remark, unveil is not really use in a positive form in french in the literal sense, and the word "dévoiler" specially to journalists could be regarded as a cynical word to show the paranoia of the person, or make belittle the project and the presentation of the person in order to attack or to laugh at the person (is that a really big project which need to be hidden, who will pick this idea and so on). So if unveil is used in a positive form in english it's better to say "présenter" rather than "dévoiler".

Sorry for my mistakes, not the advice of Chris Spokeperson, but Chris Spokeperson's advice, and not used but use.