Il Santissimo Sacramento

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Lazzini, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Lazzini

Lazzini Senior Member

Sto leggendo la storia di un prete, nella quale si trova questa frase: "si fermava davanti al Santissimo Sacramento". Non essendo cattolico, non so come tradurre "Santissimo Sacramento" in inglese.

C'è chi mi possa (può?) aiutare, per favore?

2. Memimao Senior Member

Busto Arsizio, Italy
    United Kingdom English
    The (Most) Holy Sacrament

3. Lazzini

Lazzini Senior Member

Thank you Memimao. As I forgot to mention in my post, I was reluctant to use the literal translation because I understood the word sacrament to refer to a rite of some kind, rather than an object. The phrase "si fermava davanti al Santissimo Sacramento" seems to imply (to me, at least) that someone paused in front of an object of some kind. So may I put two more questions:

- Have I misunderstood something about Catholic religious practices?
    - Can the word sacramento refer to some kind of physical object?

4. federicoft Senior Member

Italian
    Yes, the Santissimo Sacramento is the consecrated host.
    Usually on some feast it's carried on procession around the streets of a city.

5. bangbang0108 New Member

Philippines, Filipino
    "si fermava davanti al Santissimo Sacramento"
    in Catholic Dogma or Catholic Faith Santissimo Sacramento refers to Jesus in the Holy Eucharist. The context of that phrase " praying in front of Jesus who is really present under the sign of bread." In catholic ritual practises this is usually done during Adoration which occurs every first friday of the month.Or one can say "si fermava davanti al Santissimo Sacramento" when one prays in front of the tabernacle which is found in the Catholic churches.

6. Memimao Senior Member

Busto Arsizio, Italy
    United Kingdom English
    The word sacrament means essentially "sign" and in the old catechism "an outward sign of inward grace" The consecrated Host is the outward sign of the incarnation of God in Jesus, something we can physically see and touch, whereas the mystery of incarnation itself is something we can perceive only inwardly, through faith.

Rituals often surround and are associated with sacraments, they are a way of celebrating the inward mystery as a community (i.e. church)

7. Lazzini

Lazzini Senior Member

Many thanks to federicoft, bangbang0108 and (again) Memimao for those very informative responses.

8. Memimao Senior Member

Busto Arsizio, Italy
    United Kingdom English
    Have now remembered that Blessed (pronounced a two syllables) Sacrament exists as well