I'll find my way out.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by hboo, Jul 31, 2013.

1. hboo Senior Member

Chinese
    Hello,

When you finish visiting someone and upon leaving their house, and you want to tell them not to see you off to the door, is this sentence common in everyday life: "I'll find my way out."? If it's not, what would you say?

Thanks.

2. GMF1991 Senior Member

Cork, Ireland
    English (UK, Suffolk)
    I've often heard "I'll see myself out" used in this context.

:)

3. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    There are many ways of saying this, but we cannot provide a list. The previous post is one of many options.

4. hboo Senior Member

Chinese
    Thank you very much, GMF. So "I'll find my way out." isn't common for this context, right?

5. GMF1991 Senior Member

Cork, Ireland
    English (UK, Suffolk)
    It's not a phrase that I've heard before for this context, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is wrong...

6. boozer Senior Member

Bulgaria
    Bulgarian
    I take things literally. I like taking things literally. :D If I heard 'I'll find my way out', my immediate understanding would be that the speaker was in a maze or in a very big place from whence there is no going out. :) Alternatively, I could use it jocularly if the inhabitant of a single room or prison cell proposed to see me out. :)

7. GMF1991 Senior Member

Cork, Ireland
    English (UK, Suffolk)
    Strangely enough, the maze idea was what came to mind when I first saw the original phrase... "find" seems to indicate some kind of challenge/difficulty (whatever the level of difficulty may be) in the action.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  8. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London
    English - England
    "I'll show myself out" is commoner, I think. WARNING: This phrase is sometimes intended as sarcastic, or even passive-aggressive, because it is considered polite to accompany one's guests at least to the door.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  9. George French Senior Member

English - UK
    I'll find my own way out.

GF..

That's what I grew up with....

10. Edinburgher Senior Member

Scotland
    German/English bilingual
    :thumbsup: Exactly, meaning I'll find the way out on my own without your help. It just doesn't work as well without the own.

11. jdb90 Junior Member

Cambridge, England, UK
    English (Scottish)
    Yes. "I'll show myself out" can be used, but be careful with tone, it can imply that you feel you have been wronged, and are choosing to leave in protest.