I'll get you for this/You will pay for this

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by Belphegor82, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Belphegor82

Belphegor82 New Member

Guten Abend :) I don't speak much German, and I was looking for a way to translate "I'll get you for this" and/or "You will pay for this" - as in, "you will suffer the consequences of what you did". I found the phrase "Das zahle ich euch heim", and I more or less know what the words mean individually, but what is the real meaning of the sentence? Does it fit either of the two sentences?

Thank you in advance!

2. srk Senior Member

South Bend, Indiana
    English - US
    Hi Belphegor82,

I wouldn't answer, as German is not my native language, except that no one else has. I have not found a translation of "Das zahle ich euch heim". I find the following in Henry Strutz, Barron's German Idioms and hope quoting it falls under "minor fair use":

in/mit gleicher Münze heimzahlen - to pay back in kind. Diese Frechheit werde ich dir in gleicher Münze heimzahlen. I'll pay you back in kind (in your own coin) for that impudence.

3. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    Also non-native. Natives will be along soon!!!

I want to say something like:
    Du wirst deine Rache schon kriegen/bekommen.
    Das wirst du schon bereuen.

I think in German it's more "You'll get your comeuppance" instead of "I'll get you for something". In other words, the subject for the German sentences is "you". Again, a non-native understanding. I'm not familiar with "heimzahlen". I'll shush now. :)

4. ablativ Senior Member

German(y)
    As a native German I would say: "Rache ist süß!" [Revenge is sweet] (perpend's suggestions are quite alright, too.)

5. djweaverbeaver Senior Member

English Atlanta, GA USA
    ...but saying "Revenge is süß/Revenge is sweet" is not the same thing as saying "You'll pay for this" or "I'm going to make you pay." The first is a general statement about vengeance whereas the others speak of the intent of getting back at someone and giving them a dose of their own medicine.

Here are some ideas for more appropriate translations:
    Das werde ich dir (mit eigener/gleicher Münze) heimzahlen!/ Das wirst du (mit eigener/gleicher Münze) heimgezahlt bekommen!/Das bekommst du heimgezahlt!
    Das wirst/sollst du (mir) büßen!
    Das wirst du (noch) teuer/bitter bezahlen!
    Das wirst du noch bereuen!

Das wirst du (von mir) zurückbekommen!

I hope this helps.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  6. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    As a non-native, I support ablativ's "Rache ist süß". It correlates to what one would say in the heat of the situation.

It does mean: "I'll get you for this." It might appear odd, but it's on the mark.

7. djweaverbeaver Senior Member

English Atlanta, GA USA
    I still disagree. Even in English, this is not something I'd say to the person on whom I plan to exact revenge. If anything, it is something one would say after the fact, after one has sought and obtained satisfaction for the wrong committed. These examples seem to agree with me: here and here.

8. Roy776

Roy776 Senior Member

Kraków, Poland
    German & AmE
    You're right. "Rache ist süß" is said after you've got your revenge. I, as a native speaker, would use these phrases (with more or less literal translations):

"Das wirst du noch (bitter) bereuen." (You will regret this bitterly)
    "Das werd ich dir (noch) heimzahlen." (I'll come back at you)
    "Dafür wirst du bezahlen." (You will pay for this)
    "Das kriegst du zurück." (You'll get that back)

9. ablativ Senior Member

German(y)
    Not necessarily. And, by the way, you forgot the exclamation mark. With that excl. mark, it's meant as a threat. I know pretty well what I am talking about. Perhaps "revenge is sweet" (in English) is used in a slightly different way (after the fact). But all the other suggestions are perfectly OK, too. :)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  10. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    #9. Amen. So verstehe ich das auch.

11. Roy776

Roy776 Senior Member

Kraków, Poland
    German & AmE
    I know it only as a general statement or, as mentioned beforehand, said after the revenge. I won't say it's not possible that some might use it otherwise, but then it is a usage unknown to me :)

12. Belphegor82

Belphegor82 New Member

Thank you all so much! :) I'll probably go with "Das wirst du mir büßen!" or "Dafür wirst du bezahlen!" - except that the character is speaking to several people, so "wirst" should be "werdet", second person plural, correct? Does the plural change something else in the sentences?

13. Sowka

Sowka Forera und Moderatorin

Hannover
    German, Northern Germany
    Good morning :)

In this case, the sentences should be:
    Das werdet ihr mir büßen! and
    Dafür werdet ihr (mir) bezahlen!

I'd like to add something about "Rache ist süß". Without any introduction, I would find it unusual as a threat. But I could imagine someone saying: "Wir werden ja noch sehen... Rache ist süß!".

14. Roy776

Roy776 Senior Member

Kraków, Poland
    German & AmE
    I think the 'mir' in "Dafür werdet ihr bezahlen!" is unnecessary and can easily be left out. I actually think it doesn't even belong there in the first place.

15. Demiurg

Demiurg Senior Member

Germany
    German
    The "mir" could be interpreted as an obsolete dativus ethicus or an optional dativus commodi. But it's not wrong.

16. Belphegor82

Belphegor82 New Member

I can't believe I forgot the "ihr" - I'm French, I know about different persons and singular/plural. I think I'll go with "Dafür werdet ihr bezahlen!". Thanks again for your help!

17. ABBA Stanza Senior Member

Hessen, DE
    English (UK)
    Can one use the verb zahlen here, or does one have to use bezahlen for some reason?

Cheers
    Abba

18. Roy776

Roy776 Senior Member

Kraków, Poland
    German & AmE
    It must be 'bezahlen'. I would understand it with 'zahlen', too, but it sounds weird. I suppose that "Dafür wirst du bezahlen." has become something like an idiom in this regard. "Dafür wirst du zahlen" would only be used when you really mean that the person would pay for something, for example damage to your car.

19. djweaverbeaver Senior Member

English Atlanta, GA USA
    I hate to dwell on this, nor do I want to cause an argument, but you haven't provided any proof or examples to explain how you equate "Revenge is sweet" with "You'll pay for this." If anything, I might tolerate "Revenge will be sweet", but so far I don't see how what you said will work. I just find "odd" as you stated in post #6. It's best we clear this up of the sake of non-native speakers.

20. Kajjo

Kajjo Senior Member

Deutschland (Hamburg)
    German/Germany
    Diese Wendung kommt der englischen sehr nahe und ich würde sie wählen. Meines Erachtens ist die Version mit nur "zahlen" völlig in Ordnung und klingt für mich sogar ein klein wenig besser als mit "bezahlen".

Diese Wendung ist sehr bekannt und typisch, meines Erachtens aber hier nicht passend. Sie ist keine gleichwertige Übersetzung für die englischen Titelphrase.

Noch ein neuer Vorschlag:

"Dafür krieg ich Dich!" ist ziemlich umgangssprachlich, aber möglich und ebenfalls sehr nahe am englischen Original.

21. Roy776

Roy776 Senior Member

Kraków, Poland
    German & AmE
    Wirklich? Mir kommt es ohne das be- Präfix sinnentfremded vor. Mit 'bezahlen' verstehe ich die die metaphorische Bedeutung, aber mit 'zahlen' denke ich direkt daran, dass wirklich monetäre Mittel verlangt werden, also 'zahlen' gleichgestellt wird mit 'für etwas aufkommen'. Ich sehe die Bedeutung zwar auch darin, aber sehr geringfügig und würde es sehr seltsam finden, den Satz so von einem Muttersprachler zu hören.

"Das wirst du mir bezahlen!" -> Das wirst du mir (mit Geld) begleichen.
    "Dafür wirst du zahlen!" -> Das wirst du mir (mit Geld) begleichen.
    ABER
    "Dafür wirst du bezahlen!" -> Das kriegst du zurück!
    "Dafür wirst du noch bezahlen!" -> Das kriegst du noch zurück!

Auf mich wirkt es einfach wie eine feststehende Redewendung, deren Sinn sich verändert, verändert man den Satz. Zwar kann die Bedeutung immer noch erkannt werden, aber es wirkt einfach seltsam.

Hier fehlt mir das Präfix (ist es überhaupt eins?) 'dran-'.

"Dafür krieg ich dich noch dran!"
    oder
    "Dafür werd ich dich noch drankriegen!"

Das würde ich zumindest im Falle einer geplanten Racheaktion sagen. Deine Version "Dafür krieg ich Dich!" fiele mir eher ein, wenn man sich seiner eigenen Überlegeneheit bewusst ist. Nehmen wir das simple Beispiel einer Nachbarschaftsfehde und Dein Nachbar hat sich etwas zu Schulden kommen lassen, wofür Du ihn anzeigen könntest. In diesem Fall bist Du Dir deiner eigenen Überlegenheit bewusst und könntest dies sagen. Man (oder ich) könnte vielleicht auch sagen, dass der Unterschied zwischen 'drankriegen' und 'kriegen der ist, dass 'kriegen' bereits ein sicheres Vorhaben oder eine sichere Überlegenheit impliziert, während 'drankriegen' erst einmal nur die Warnung davor ist, dass etwas passieren könnte, ohne wirklich hundertprozentige Sicherheit zu geben.
    Das ist zumindest mein Verständnis dessen.

22. Kajjo

Kajjo Senior Member

Deutschland (Hamburg)
    German/Germany
    Hm, ich empfinde den Unterschied nicht so dramatisch und würde beide Phrasen gleichermaßen verstehen. Ist vielleicht auch ein regionaler Unterschied? Ich komme aus Norddeutschland, von wo kommst du?

Ja, mit "dran" klingt es hochsprachlicher und besser. Aber inhaltlich ist die von mir als umgangssprachlich bezeichnete Version ohne "dran" meines Erachtens auch üblich und verständlich. Ich würde aber Deine Version mit "dran" im Schriftlichen definitiv bevorzugen.

23. Roy776

Roy776 Senior Member

Kraków, Poland
    German & AmE
    Ich komme aus NRW, nahe Dortmund. Die Version mit einfachem 'zahlen' habe ich bis dato noch nie gehört. Aber wie gesagt, ich würde es verstehen, es käme mir nur äußerst seltsam vor.