I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by rusita preciosa, Jul 3, 2012.

1. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    When you want to express your support, what "gesture" do you use in your language?

English: I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Russian: I'll hold my fists for you.
    я буду за тебя держать кулаки (кулачки) [ya budu za tebya derjat kulaki (kulatchki)] - I will hold my fists (little fists) for you

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  2. ilocas2 Senior Member

In Czech it's holding of thumbs or fists. I found some occurences of holding of fingers on Google too, though it doesn't sound naturally to me.

držet palce - to hold thumbs
    držet pěsti - to hold fists
    držet prsty - to hold fingers (rare)

Budu ti/vám držet palce/pěsti/prsty. - I will hold you (in dative case) thumbs/fists/fingers.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  3. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    In French, same as in English, we cross our fingers:
    "Je croise les doigts pour toi" (literally: I'm crossing my fingers for you)

Edit: and we cross the forefinger and the middle finger.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  4. tFighterPilot Senior Member

Israel - Hebrew
    Hebrew: אחזיק לך אצבעות aḥzík lekhá\lakh etsba'ót - I will hold fingers for you(male\female)

5. rusita preciosa

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    So, how many and which fingers do you hold?:)

6. aruniyan Senior Member

Tamil
    Tamil,
    no gestures, unakkaaha ThOl koduppEn. means, I will give my shoulders for you, indirectly meaning, i will support you.

ThOl= Shoulders

7. Perseas Senior Member

Athens - GR
    Greek
    In Greek,

we don't use "fingers" to express support, backing; we say "είμαι στο πλευρό + gen. of person" /'ime sto ple'vro/. Literrally it means "I am on somebody's rib/flank".

8. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    @#5 Its known to be two, so we dont suggest that(or four, if you want both hands)

9. jana.bo99

jana.bo99 Senior Member

Slovenia
    Cro, Slo
    Slovenian:
    Držal bom pesti za vas (male)
    Držala bom pesti za vas (female, me)

Croatian:
    Držat ću prste za vas

10. rusita preciosa

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    could you pls translate?

Which fingers? Like a V (victory) sign (index and middle)?

11. Tamar

Tamar Senior Member

Israel, Hebrew
    Oh, I thought you were kind of joking at first -we cross the index and middle finger (the middle on top of the index).
    I understand from your question you do the same :)

12. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Hungarians do not use their fingers, they clench both their fists and say: Szorítok. [lit.: I'll "clench"]
    I wonder if other nations use the similar gesture as well.
    rusita preciosa you did not describe what gesture russians show. Maybe the same as Hungarians. What do you mean by "hold"?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  13. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Although the idiom and the gesture of crossing one's fingers are known in Portuguese (perhaps through foreign influence), I'd say the most idiomatic way to say this is along the lines of vou torcer por ti or vou ficar torcendo por você, literally "I'll be twisting for you". Or maybe "crossing" would be better than "twisting"; perhaps crossing one's fingers is implied after all.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  14. rusita preciosa

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    Quite honestly, I don't think we have the gesture itself. I think it is just a figure of speech: "I'll hold my hands in fists for you". It would be interesting to hear from other Russian speakers though...

15. _Utente New Member

Russo
    Rusita, for me it sounds as if somebody is ready to start boxing for my sake, and for some unknown reason is being metaphorical. That is, it sounds for me absolutely unacceptable. I don't know, maybe it's a regional thing? (I'm from St-Petersburg).

I would use the expression "скрестить пальцы", but I'm not sure if it has quite the same meaning and use. This is rather an expression of hope, than of support ("я скрещу пальцы, чтобы всё пошло правильно" — "I'll cross my fingers, and everything will go OK"; "ну, скрестите за меня пальцы, я пошёл!" — "so, cross your fingers for me, I go!"). Besides, I don't think it is used very often (but it's absolutely "natural" in Russian, and has no "foreign" shade).

16. rusita preciosa

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    I've never heard it in my life, but I also haven't lived in Russia for several years. It could be a modern calque from English - generational difference rather than regional (Moscow vs. St Pete). Good thread to open in the Russian forum.

17. jana.bo99

jana.bo99 Senior Member

Slovenia
    Cro, Slo
    Translation of:

Prsti (prste) means two or more fingers.
    Somebody does it with two fingers (forefinger and middle finger, like V -victory)

I should go on the football game to see, how they do that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2012
  18. itreius Senior Member

Assembly
    Hm, are you sure it's supposed to be držati prste? I only remember the idioms držati fige and držati palce/palčeve.

19. _Utente New Member

Russo
    Or an older one from French. I don't know.

20. ElFrikiChino

ElFrikiChino Senior Member

Lisbon
    Italian (Mantova)
    We Italians are boring, we just cross our fingers like almost everybody else (and often we also make the gesture itself while saying it).

EFC

21. jana.bo99

jana.bo99 Senior Member

Slovenia
    Cro, Slo
    I am sure only that I say: "držat ću prste za tebe"
    "Držati palce" is good (from now on). It is easier, because I can do it with one finger only (with thumb)

"Držati fige" is not fine enough for me.

22. sinopoli Junior Member

La France
    English South African
    For interest, in South Africa we also say "cross thumbs"

23. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

Tagalog: umaasang magtatagumpay ka sa hangarin mo.( as you shake his/her hands)

24. rusita preciosa

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    Is there a gesture associated with that? How does one cross thumbs? Just hoock them?

25. sinopoli Junior Member

La France
    English South African

Rusita,

I am so sorry, I only just saw your query, my notificaton system has not been working.

No, we just say I'm crossing thunmbs" or I'm holding thumbs".

я извиняюсь

Ernie

26. Holger2014 Senior Member

German
    German: Ich drücke dir die Daumen. Lit.: 'I press for_you the thumbs'

27. 810senior

810senior Senior Member

Japanese
    Japanese:

that expression reminds me of 指切りする(jubikiri suru:cut one's finger)
    Its literal meaning is brutal but this expression points at the action to make one's finger crossed with the other. (real meaning is "make a promise")
    I don't know how to say something similar to above English idiom in Japanese.
    We say 幸運を祈るkouun o inoru(lit. to pray one's lucky/chance) not including any part concerning the body...