I'm confused by/with/on/over statistics

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Englishdoubt, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Englishdoubt New Member

ESPAÑA, ESPAÑOL
    "I´m confused by/with/on/over stadistics"
    I´m not sure which is the most appropriate preposition in that sentence, can you help me? Thanks a lot!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2013
  2. Mmart Senior Member

Barcelona
    Spanish, Catalan - Spain
    I would say "by" in this case.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2013
  3. donbeto

donbeto Senior Member

Vancouver (Canada)
    Eng (Canada)
    Englishdoubt, yes "by". En español, diría

Estoy confundido por estadisticas.

Bienvenido/a al foro.

4. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    Yes, it's "by."

stadistics
    :cross:

statistics :tick:

Now, maybe the teachers of statistics are sadists, and you might want to call them stadistics :p, but that word doesn't exist in English.

5. Jim2996 Senior Member

Boston, MA
    American English
    "I'm confused by statistics." is the preposition to use. However, you might want to say
    "Statistics confuse me."

6. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    Hello Englishdoubt, welcome to the forum.
    Are we talking about a school subject or the general theme of statistics? If so, OK, but I think I would have expressed the sentence differently - I find statistics confusing - or some other version which avoids the verb to confuse altogether.
    But I wonder if you may be referring to a particular set of statistics, in which case you would need the definite article: I'm confused by the statistics of X.

7. AliBadass

AliBadass Senior Member

IRAN
    persian
  8. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    One dictionary is not "dictionaries."

A dictionary may give an example but that does not mean that there are not other possibilities.

"Confused by statistics" means that you are the object of confusion and statistics is causing the confusion. The verb here is used transitively.

In "confused about," you are the subject and the verb here is used intransitively.

Many verbs in English can be used either transitively or intransitively.

9. AliBadass

AliBadass Senior Member

IRAN
    persian
    Thank you. What if I say ''I'm confused about statistics''? What would the conception be? And what do you mean by ''the subject''? Could you please give me an example? I'd appreciate your response.