I'm doing well.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Saurabh, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Saurabh

Saurabh Senior Member

New Delhi City
    English-British, Hindi
    Hello friends,

It may sound pathetic to you what am I going to ask......But I've got to say that the same has puzzled me all these years. Well, if I wanted to reply the question asked i.e "how are you doing' or " how are you"? what would I answer?
    A) am doing pretty good/well,
    B) am doing good/well,
    C) not bad,
    D) am good,
    E) am fine,
    F) your suggestions, plz.
    I know these carry different meaning on their own but if I were just feeling okay, what would my answer be then? Moreover, I will be too glad if you have come up with the specific meaning of all these or the scenerios where these would be used. Which one is in common use?

Cheers!
    Saurabh.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  2. cyberpedant

cyberpedant Senior Member

North Adams, MA
    English USA, Northeast, NYC
    All of your potential choices are valid responses to "How are you?" The "good/well" distinction is problematic to many "prescriptivists," who will say that "well" (an adverb) is the only possible correct answer. But most of us would have no problem with "good."

3. Saurabh

Saurabh Senior Member

New Delhi City
    English-British, Hindi
    Thanks, Cyberpedant.

4. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    The problem with saying "I'm doing good" instead of "I'm doing well" is that the two sentences do not mean the same thing. The literal meaning of the entirely natural and grammatical sentence "I'm doing good" is "I am performing actions that have a beneficial effect for other people."

Bob's experience with the volunteer organization taught him that he really enjoyed doing good.

5. cyberpedant

cyberpedant Senior Member

North Adams, MA
    English USA, Northeast, NYC
    Indeed. One of my favorite lines (from Tom Lehrer's "The Old Dope Peddler") is "doing well by doing good."

6. Saurabh

Saurabh Senior Member

New Delhi City
    English-British, Hindi
    Hey GreenWhiteBlue,

It's such an indeed beautiful explanation.
    thank you.
    Cheers,
    Saurabh