1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

I'm flexible

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Silverobama, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Silverobama

Silverobama Senior Member

Chongqing
    Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Hi,

I talked a girl, and here is a part of our conversation and also my question:

The girl-"What kind of topics do you like to talk about?"

Silevr"-I am flexible".

I wonder "I am flexible" makes sense here, to mean "each kind of topic is suitable for me"?

Thanks

2. Greyfriar

Greyfriar Senior Member

Portsmouth, Hampshire
    British English
    Personally I would never say 'I am flexible'. I would say 'Anything really'.

3. Silverobama

Chongqing
    Hello Grey, What if she asked "when do you want to have a conversation with me", can I say "I am flexible"?

4. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    That second statement is easier to understand and sounds more idiomatic. It means "My schedule isn't fixed. I am free to rearrange it."

5. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, you can say that, although I find it's not very helpful - because it doesn't help in arranging a time (but that's another matter).

You could say, 'I'm flexible' or 'I'm fine for most times', or following Greyfriar's suggestion, 'Any time, really'.

6. Silverobama

Chongqing

Hi, thank, but what makes "I am flexible" sounds weird when someone ask me "what kind of topics shall we try"?

Doesn't it also imply a sense "I am ok with all the topics"?

Thanks

7. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    I'm not as strongly against your use of the word as some of the others are, although I agree that I don't usually hear people saying anything about being "flexible" when they are talking about what topics they want to discuss. I do understand the statement, but it's not as idiomatic as using it to talk about time.

If somebody says: What topics do you want to discuss?, then you can certainly say: I'm flexible. You could also try "I'm open to suggestions" or "I don't really have a preference" or "almost any topic will be fine".