1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

I'm glad to hear (that) . . . and (that) . . .

Discussion in 'English Only' started by susanna76, Aug 19, 2011.

1. susanna76 Senior Member

Romanian
    Hi there, which of the two sentences below works better? Edit: Are both ok?

1. I'm glad to hear you had a good time and Jim was able to come to Romania.
    2. I'm glad to hear that you had a good time and that Jim was able to come to Romania.

My problem is with using "that" before Jim. I feel it's needed (whereas in the first part it's optional). I personally would vote for 3 but don't know if it's 100% "correct" (because it's not symmetrical):

3. I'm glad to hear you had a good time and that Jim was able to come to Romania.

Looking forward to your help!

Thanks in advance!

2. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    Interesting. This is how I read the sentences:
    1. I'm glad to hear you had a good time and Jim was able to come to Romania. (Jim was able to go to Romania because you had a good time)
    (cf "I'm glad you won the lottery and were able to go to Australia")
    2. I'm glad to hear that you had a good time and that Jim was able to come to Romania. (Your good time and Jim's going to Romania were unconnected.)
    (cf "I'm glad to hear that you won the lottery and Jim's broken leg has healed.)

3. I'm glad to hear you had a good time and that Jim was able to come to Romania. = 2 above.
    3. I'm glad to hear that you had a good time and Jim was able to come to Romania. = 1 above.

3. brooklyn13 Junior Member

Chicago, IL, USA
    American English
    I will agree with you, and say that the third is the best choice. Unfortunately I can not explain why I think that, but being a native English speaker, it sounds best:) Hope that helped:)

4. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    Hello, susanna76. You seem to know already that speakers often drop the conjunction "that". All three versions of your sentence sound possible and idiomatic. Out of your three versions, #2 sounds best to me. When I write, I often keep these conjunctions unless I am using "that" in other ways in the sentence. Then, too many "that's" can look distracting or even confusing. If you decide to drop the conjunctions, I think you should drop both of them. I find it a little jarring to run into the conjunction "that" after you've just skipped it in the first half of the sentence.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011