I'm going to New York tomorrow.

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by baosheng, Dec 8, 2012.

1. baosheng Senior Member

Canada
    Canada, English
    Hello/大家好,

I have a question about a sentence on the forum:
    我们会想你的

Do future constructions with 会 always need a 的 at the end? (will they always seem incomplete without it?)

For example:
    (I'm going to New York tomorrow)
    我明天会去纽约的.

I often will omit the 的. Is it better if it is included? (or is there a difference between a future construction with or without "的"?)

Thanks/谢谢!

2. chlorophylle Senior Member

Mandarin Chinese
    Do future constructions with 会 always need a 的 at the end? (will they always seem incomplete without it?)

NO.

我会想你的(oral language = 我会想你written language
    But sometimes interchangeable

3. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    Chinese/Italian - bilingual
    我明天去纽约。 sounds more natural to me. If you say this sentence, I guess it's sure, you are already preparing to go to New York, and already have the ticket. Probably that's why you use the present continuous in English. (At least what they taught me about English)

会 has more an idea of future planning, usually farther future, which in English you will probably use "will" or "be going to".

I can't explain the difference with or without 的。I fell that with 的 it sounds more like a promise, without 的 sounds more like a planning.

4. viajero_canjeado Senior Member

Georgia
    English - Southeastern USA
    Yeah.. I don't know why, but I'd probably opt for using the verb 要 instead of 會 in this context: 我明天[就]要去紐約。

5. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    The two are quite different:
    我明天会去紐約: Here you're reporting a possiblity: something likely to happen but not necessarily.
    我明天要去紐約: Here you're reporting a fact: something you want to do or must do.

6. viajero_canjeado Senior Member

Georgia
    English - Southeastern USA
    Oh? I wasn't aware that 會 was used to express uncertainty.. I've always used it to convey "going to" or "will", as described in post #3 above. It just doesn't seem to fit in the present context, though it'd be great in a different one:

A:你明天會去派對了嗎?
    B:會啊。

7. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    The use of 会 is often to indicate that the event is not 100% certainty (ie, not yet a fact). For this reason, you often see 的 is added 会 in assertions, to increase the certainly (which is usually to convince people of the certainty for the very reason that it's not a certainty ;)).

8. baosheng Senior Member

Canada
    Canada, English
    Thank you, everyone, for your replies! There are some interesting nuances between 会,会。。。的,要 and [time expression with no 'tense marker'].

@Youngfun
    Yes, I think you are right! "我明天去纽约." does indeed sound more natural now that you say it (at least, that's what I picture people saying.. ). 谢谢!

9. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

Although leaving 的 could be ok, having it will make the sentence more natural.
    的 has two functions here:
    1. As a reconfirmaton.
    2. To avoid the sentence becomes too short. Chinese don't like very short sentences. So 我会想你 sounds not very good, but 我明天会去纽约 is totally ok.

10. BODYholic Senior Member

Singapore
    Chinese Cantonese
    It ultimately boils down to the type of questions you are answering.

Q: 你明天会去哪里?
    A: 我明天会去纽约。 (It's unnatural to end your sentence with a 的 here.)
    Q: 你肯定会去纽约吗?
    A: 我(肯定)会去纽约的.