1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

"I'm looking forward to it" is wrong?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by u-1, Feb 25, 2011.

1. u-1 Senior Member

Tokyo
    Japanese
    Good evening!

I have a question.

The other day, I was talking with an American guy. We were talking about a trip I'm going on soon, and I said to him, "I'm looking forward to it". Then, he said that "I look forward to it" sounds better.

I was confused. I thought "I'm looking forward to it" is perfect because I'm feeling it right now. I should have asked him why the sentence I said wasn't good, but I missed the chance.

Could someone teach me why "I look forward to it" is better than "I'm looking forward to it"?

Thank you in advance!

2. abenr

abenr Senior Member

Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    English, USA
    "I look forward to it" is NOT better than "I'm looking forward to it." There's absolutely nothing wrong with "I'm looking forward to it."

3. ghotioutofh2o Senior Member

USA
    American English
    Agreed.

4. Fabulist Senior Member

Annandale, Virginia, USA
    American English
    If you are in the process of "looking forward" to your trip right now, then I would say "am looking forward" is better than "look forward."

You could say, "I look forward to the trip every day." However, that would mean that you do so occasionally, as little as once a day, but that you are not doing it continuously, and that you are not thinking about it at the time you are talking about this anticipation.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  5. sandpiperlily

sandpiperlily Senior Member

I agree with the above explanations.

I'll also add that if I want to tell someone that I will continue to look forward to it (until it happens, presumably), I'll sometimes say "I'll look forward to it," or "I'll be looking forward to it."

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  6. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    I agree with the preceding posters, including Sandpiper's addition.

7. Agreed from this side of the Atlantic, too.

Rover

8. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
  9. pops91710

pops91710 Senior Member

He may have corrected you because the phrase is usually rendered "I look forward to it". I cannot understand why your rendition would need to be corrected as it is perfectly understandable and not grammatically incorrect. It may not conform to the popular rendition, but I certainly would not have given it a second thought.

10. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Are you sure about that?

I certainly would never say "I look forward to it" in the context that u-1 described. If I'm talking to you about a planned trip, I would never say "I look forward to it." It would always be "I'm looking forward to it."

I tried hard, earlier today, to think of a context in which I would naturally say "I look forward to it," but so far I have failed. I think it would have to be a situation where you were telling me about something in the future that I hadn't heard about before. Then, perhaps, I might say "I look forward to it."

11. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    ... or that you will be making something special for me and delivering it to me later in the week. Then I might well say "I look forward to it (receipt of the creation)"

12. pops91710

pops91710 Senior Member

That I often hear it rendered "I look forward to it'?
    Yes, pretty much. U-1 did say he was talking to an American. Perhaps it is the difference. But as I said, neither seems wrong to me.

13. u-1 Senior Member

Tokyo
    Japanese
    Dear teachers,

Thank you so much for answering my question.

I love this Web site. I can learn a lot of things thanks to your help!

Thank you again!