I'm really happy to know you...

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by KarenM, Jul 7, 2006.

1. KarenM

KarenM Senior Member

Spanish - Costa Rica
    Alguien podría por favor aclararme la duda, cual de las dos maneras es la mejor? o en cuyo caso, cual es la manera correcta de escribir lo siguiente en inglés:

" Estoy feliz de haberte conocido"

1. I am happy to know you.

2. I am happy knowing you.

3. I am happy to get to know you.

2. AmethystSW

AmethystSW Senior Member

Michigan
    English, USA
    Creo que se traduce "I'm happy to have known you" pero "I'm happy to know you" está bien. Espera otras opiniones.

3. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    I´m happy to have met you

4. endless New Member

Albanian
    i would say: I am glad got to know you

5. Jenniferrrr Junior Member

United States
    English
    I like "I'm happy to have met you."

6. AmethystSW

AmethystSW Senior Member

Michigan
    English, USA
    If it has to be "met" in this sentence, how do you say "I'm happy to have known you" in Spanish then?

7. heidita Senior Member

Madrid, Spain
    Germany (German, English, Spanish)
    you cannot use know in the past unless you actually do not know this person any more, thus, this person is dead or you are, even worse.

I knew my grandfather. (he is dead)
    I met my grandfather yesterday. (for some reason you had never met him before.)

So, I don't know if you use this in MIchigan like this, but I am happy to have known you is not correct, as far as I know.

I am happy to have known my grandparents. (they are dead)
    Oh, you are lucky, I never knew mine.

8. daydreamdz31

daydreamdz31 New Member

Miami
    Spanish
    Se diria, Estoy feliz de haberte conocido

9. AmethystSW

AmethystSW Senior Member

Michigan
    English, USA
    I could see using it if you were parting ways and weren't going to be seeing someone anymore, or if you were talking about a time in the past when they were very important to you. But I guess you're right, it wouldn't be a common sentence. Although, I have heard it used while still knowing someone too. Perhaps it is incorrect though... I don't know.

10. mhp Senior Member

American English
    What you say about “to have known” is essentially correct, but death is a bit drastic to be the only cause for terminating a relationship. ;)

I’m happy to have known you, but we must go our own way now.

The thing about “meeting you grandfather yesterday” is not how it is used. It is usually used to mean “get together”

I met my friends yesterday for a cup of coffee. (no one would get the impression that you met them for the first time).
    I first met my grandfather yesterday.

11. AmethystSW

AmethystSW Senior Member

Michigan
    English, USA
    What about this sentence:
    I'm happy to have known you all these years.

Is that incorrect? I don't think it is.

12. mhp Senior Member

American English
    It sounds perfect to me, and as far as I can see, it does not imply that the relationship is over now.

13. AmethystSW

AmethystSW Senior Member

Michigan
    English, USA
    Thanks. I hate feeling doubtful about my own language, but I have already learned so much that I am open to corrections.