1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

I'm sorry about your loss/May he rest in peace

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by xebonyx, Jan 24, 2010.

1. xebonyx

xebonyx Senior Member

TR/AR/EN
    Ahlan :)

A friend of mine's father just passed away, and I'm trying to think of some phrases to use to offer my condolences.

I know there are a number of expressions, but unfortunately I can only think of a couple at the moment
    (الله يرحمه ..إن شاء الله آخر الأحزن) and (أرقد بسلام). I was hoping you could refresh my memory with additional phrases, or feel free to include your own versions of expressing sympathy over one's death.

شكراً

2. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Hi Andrea,

I hope you won't tell your friend to rest in peace :) (urqud bisalaam is addressed to "anta").

Seriously now, you need to tell us first if your friend is Muslim or Christian, because this is one of the situations where religion matters.
    For a Muslim, you can say:
    الله يرحمه ويدخله فسيح جناته
    (Literally: May God have mercy on him and make him enter His vastest paradise)
    We also say البقاء لله al-baqaa2 lillaah = Only God is eternal (which means we all die, and it's meant to remind the family that death is inevitable and that our hope lies in God's mercy).

There are other possibilities, but these are the ones I could remember now.

3. londonmasri Senior Member

English
    **These are questions and not answers/ suggestions**

Al baqiyyah fi 7ayaatak (is that considered not correct anymore?)
    عظم الله اجرك
    Can we say any of these? If so are they okay to say to both Christians and Muslims?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  4. xebonyx

xebonyx Senior Member

TR/AR/EN
    Haha.
    لا... هذا ليوم كذبة أبريل :rolleyes:

أنا أقدر الاقتراحات، شكرا اوي

She's Muslim, and in fact, she too is Egyptian. :) This may be a longshot in terms of appropriateness, but are there any colloquialisms that could work here?

5. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Yes. Recently there was some sort of religious analysis for some commonly said/used expressions, and this is one of those deemed not appropriate, because it infers that some people get to live longer/shorter than they were destined to live, which is of course against the belief that death is predestined and that إذا جاء أجلهم لا يستأخرون ساعة ولا يستقدمون
    This can be used, but the more commonly used these days in Egypt is البقاء لله and also البركة فيك/فيكي
    The reply to البقاء لله is وَنِعْمَ بالله (wane3ma bellaah) and the reply to البركة فيك/فيكي is البركة في دين محمد (elbaraka 'f-din Mohammad).

As far as I know, Christians use البقية في حياتك but I'm sure there are other religion-related expressions. Unfortunately I can only remember ربنا ينيحه rabbena ynayya7o. But this would need a confirmation from a Christian. And I'll try to check with my Christian friends before confirming it.
    العفو يا أندريا
    What I offered are the expressions used colloquially, don't worry. So البقاء لله , though fuS7a is the expression commonly and widely used in Egypt.
    Oh, and there's also sheddi 7eelek شدي حيلك (it's shedd(e) 7eelak شد حيلك to a male) It's like: be strong.

Usually, we say two -and sometimes more- expressions in these situation. For example: البقاء لله، شدي حيلك
    And there's also ربنا يصبرك rabbena ySabbarek = may God give you patience.

The idea in wishing strength and patience is to be able to face the loss.

6. Idaho Redneck New Member

English - Northwest
    Did you find out? I would like to send condolences to my Christian friend but can't risk making a mistake during such a sensitive time.

7. ayed Senior Member

Riyadh
    Arabic
    Welcome, Idaho Redneck, to the Arabic forum..

Some people would say البقاء في رأسك or فيك الخير والبركة and the like

8. Idaho Redneck New Member

English - Northwest
    Google translated these as "Stay in your head" and "Vic goodness and blessings". I do not know much Arabic at all, so please allow me to confirm. I would like to send my condolences to my female, Christian cousin upon the death of her mother. Would I use one of these phrases? What are better translations? Which is best? Shokran!

9. Mahaodeh Senior Member

Arabic and English
    It actually means [my his/her/their memory] stay in your head. It's used mostly by Saudi's.

If she's Christian, I'd go for البقية في حياتك, or simply translate some religious English phrases.

10. ayed Senior Member

Riyadh
    Arabic
    Googlian translation is different from man's, Idaho Redneck.It doesn't give the connotation of a word or a phrase.

If you were to convey your condolence in person, say :
    أعزيكي في وفاة المرحومة والبقية في حياتك
    My condolences on the death of the departed, the rest will be in your life(implying you're her survivor and her extension until you pass away)as if her mother hadn't passed yet.

If the condolence is printed on a card, it is better to be:
    أتقدم بأصدق التعازي القلبية لوفاة المرحومة تغمدها الله برحمته
    Please accept my warm condolences on the death of the deaprted may God bestow His mercy on her.

I hope this helps.
    If you have any questions, just post.

Ayed

11. Idaho Redneck New Member

English - Northwest
    Thank you very much for clarifying.

12. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Hi,

Ayed's suggestion are right, but sound too formal.

Here's some of the expressions I found on one of my Christian friends' facebook page, after his grandma passed away:
    ربنا يعزيكم (may God give you consolation)
    and ربنا يقدس روحها (I think it means "may God sanctify her soul).

You can go with a mixture like:
    البقية في حياتك، ربنا يقدس روحها