I'm sorry for this fault/mistake

Discussion in 'English Only' started by tigerduck, Mar 14, 2009.

1. tigerduck Senior Member

Switzerland
    German / Switzerland
    I was wondering whether it were correct to say I'm sorry for this fault and/orI'm sorry for this mistake in a business telephone conversation. The situation is this that the customer support apologizes for a delivery mistake (the customer received the wrong models of calculators). I assume that it's fine to say I'm sorry for this mistake, but I'm not clear whether I'm sorry for this fault is also possible and that is what one of my students wrote in a business dialogue.

2. Au101 Senior Member

London
    England, English (UK)
    I personally think that you can say that, although it would be very rare. Most people would probably just say something like:

"I'm very sorry about that."

3. ajo fresco

ajo fresco Senior Member

Hello Tigerduck,

It's more natural to say "I'm sorry for the mistake" or "I'm sorry we made a mistake" -- or simply, "I'm sorry."

I would never say "fault", unless you want to say "I'm sorry, the delivery mistake is our fault."

Cheers
    Ajo Fresco

4. Au101 Senior Member

London
    England, English (UK)
    Yes, if that is the way you wanted to word it, then Ajo Fresco is absolutely right. Although I maintain that most people where I live will just stick to:

"I'm sorry about that."

5. tigerduck Senior Member

Switzerland
    German / Switzerland
    Thank you for all your contributions. Your answers are very helpful and much appreciated.