1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

I'm thinking of suing them.

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by seitt, Jun 15, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings

Over 30 years ago, in Elassona, I remember being annoyed with my landlord and saying to somebody, “I'm thinking of suing them.”

What I said was, “Σκέφτομαι να τους μηνύσω.” I don't think that is correct, and even if it is, I don't think it’s good Colloquial Greek.

Please could you let me know how Greeks usually say, “I'm thinking of suing them.”?

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

2. velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    "Σκέφτομαι να του κάνω αγωγή" under civil law.
    "Σκέφτομαι να του κάνω μήνυση" under penal law, so you'll be making a "μήνυση" if your landlord beat you up, for example.
    Η διαφορά αγωγής/μήνυσης

3. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you so much, truly some wonderful insights here.

4. geogins

geogins Senior Member

Greek
    I would express it this way: (Έτσι) Μου 'ρχεται να τους κάνω μήνυση!
    Using "Έτσι" connotes more indignation or impatience.

5. velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    <I remember being annoyed with my landlord and saying to somebody, “I'm thinking of suing them".>

I'm curious seitt, did you write "them" to avoid saying he/she, or was it a company who owned the building?

6. Αγγελος Senior Member

Greek
    Let's add that most laypeople don't know the difference between μήνυση and αγωγή, as explained above, so that they would be quite likely to say "θα σου κάνω μήνυση!" even to somebody who owes them money.
    Another common way of expressing the same threat is "θα σε/σας πάω στο δικαστήριο!"

7. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Much obliged to you all - as for why I used 'them', I suppose I was thinking of them as a husband and a wife i.e. two people.

8. Andrious Senior Member

I think a little bit more common is plural "θα σε/σας πάω στα δικαστήρια!" or "θα πάω/ πάμε/ τα πούμε στα δικαστήρια". You can also use "θα το πάω δικαστικώς".

9. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks!