Discussion in 'English Only' started by Vanda, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    Hello there,

I was looking for the PT word imagética in English and found - not officially though - imagetic. The definition in Pt is something that contains images or reveals imagination, like in a "imagetic" poem.
    The single place where I found a definition for it was in that not so reliable dictionary. See it here. = filled with a lot of images. Also I found it related to semiotic and some other English pages, but coincidently most of the En pages were referring to Brazilian pages (universities articles) or Portuguese ones.

My question is: which word does English use with this meaning? Is imagetic a neologism? An adaptation from the Pt word? Or ...?

Thank you!
  2. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    Hi Vandinha,
    I don't know the word in English. The closest approximation I can think of is 'graphic'.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2009
  3. Brian P

Brian P Senior Member

Could "illustrated" be the word that you want? An illustrated poem is one which contains both text and pictures.
  4. Sabelotodo Senior Member

Great Lakes Region, USA
    English, United States
    For a poem that displays a lot of imagination, I would say an imaginative poem. For a poem that creates a lot of mental images in the reader's mind, I would say a poem full of imagery. I've never heard imagetic, and I didn't find it looking in several dictionaries.
  5. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    Thank you guys! So that imagetic was really an 'invention' from foreigners into the English realm!
  6. Slima New Member

Vanda, I was also looking for imagetic and I found it at Urban Dictionary (internet). Go there and see it. I guess that it's not related to any brazilian page!
  7. pheel09 New Member

english - british/international
    Vanda - i was translating a piece this week (October 2010) when i had to face the same question... however my conclusion is different.
    "imagética" in Portugues is likely a translation of the French word "imagetique",
    especially in relation to semiotics and language-related meaning/ signification and as such you would best use either the original
    - "imagetique" or
    - imagistic
    which is the most closely related english translation.
    i hope this helps others who come across the same link i did.