Important part of doing business

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by rufrespan, Mar 25, 2013.

1. rufrespan New Member

English
    I am trying to translate 'an important part of doing business' into Russian but I'm not sure whether I should stick closely to the English or change it so it reads 'an important part when doing business' to avoid needing the genitive followed by an infinitive. What do you suggest? Thanks

2. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    It's hard to say what's better until you provide your Russian variant. I suspect none of them may work.

3. igusarov

igusarov Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    Please provide more context - a complete sentence and an explanation of its intended meaning. Because both versions of this part of the sentence could be translated without any infinitife.

4. rufrespan New Member

English
    I was considering both 'это важно когда вы делаете бизнес' and 'это важная сторона когда делают бизнес' but wasn't sure if it was necessary to write 'это важная сторона + OF doing business'
    The full sentence is: To some extent, it is an important part of doing business here if you dine out with clients in the evening.

Thank you

5. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Doing business is заниматься бизнесом or вести бизнес (вести дела). Делать бизнес is just a calque and sounds too bad.
    So: Когда вы занимаетесь здесь бизнесом...
    Or maybe better to change the phrase comnpletely such as: Важная часть (сторона) бизнеса здесь - встречи с клиентами за обеденным столом or stuff like that.

6. igusarov

igusarov Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    1. This is the best version of the three. Other two are very unnatural. You'd better translate the word "doing" as a noun, rather than a verb. It would sound better. Then you'll get "важная сторона + <noun phrase in genitive>". Typical noun phrase for "doing business" is "ведение бизнеса".
    2. Impersonal form of the Russian sentence would sound better than literal translation of "it is" as "это".
    3. It's still not clear what does the word "here" mean. Is it "at this region of the World" or "in this case"?

В известной мере успешному завершению сделки можно помочь, пригласив клиентов на ужин. (easy colloquial sentence, although it is quite loosely connected to the original one)
    Неформальный ужин с клиентами играет, до определённой степени, важную роль в ведении бизнеса. (formal and more strict way)

7. rufrespan New Member

English
    Thank you both very much!