in accordance with the Status

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by Diddy, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Diddy Senior Member

C.A. Spanish
    Hola foro,

Me podrían ayudar con lo siguiente, por favor:

The Director, XXXXXXXX, acting in accordance with the Status for registration and declaration, entry changes in the registration documentation.

Ese "Status" a qué se refiere??? y el "entry" ????

El director, XXXXXXXX, que actúa de acuerdo al ??????? para registro y declaración, ?????? cambios en los documentos de registro.

muchas gracias,

2. Hulalessar Senior Member

Andalucía
    English - England
    It does not make a lot of sense. "Status" could perhaps be "statutes"; "reglas" should cover it. "Entry" here means an entry in the records so that "entry changes" = "cambios de apunte"

3. robjh22 Senior Member

U.S.A. & English
    Agree with Hulalessar. It makes no sense in English.

Can you give us a little more of the passage on either side of the sentence you are translating?

4. Diddy Senior Member

C.A. Spanish
    This is the whole paragraph for you to see if it makes any sense in English:

This is taken from a Power of Attorney written in English by a non Spanish or English speaker Notary, and now I have to translate it into Spanish!!!!:confused:

MATIS, S.A., in the person of Director, John Smith, acting in accordance with the Status for registration and declaration, entry changes in the registration and declaration documentation on our following products:

Thanks for your interest in helping me,

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  5. Hulalessar Senior Member

Andalucía
    English - England
    That does not help a lot.

6. Diddy Senior Member

C.A. Spanish
    It is about a Power of Attorney: (names are fictitious)

The first paragraph gives all the details of CANTIS, S.A. (address, phone, and its Representative's name through whom CANTIS, S.A. is empowering MATIS, S.A. and its Representative (John Smith) for carrying out some actions.

The second paragraph is the one that I literally copied above, and

The third paragraph is the listing of all the actions CANTIS, S.A. is authorizing MATIS, S.A. to carry out.

This document was written by a Notary who is not an English or Spanish native, and now I have to translate it into Spanish, but this paragraph does not make any sense to me because of the "Status" and "entry changes" terms used.

And that's it.

Hope this helps,

7. Hulalessar Senior Member

Andalucía
    English - England
    Even in some sort of context the precise meaning is obscure. However, I am not sure that its precise meaning is crucial. Its purpose is simply to say that the director is acting pursuant to powers he has. For what purpose is your translation required?

8. Diddy Senior Member

C.A. Spanish
    I think this will clarify:

Herewith, CANTIS, S.A. (address, phone, and its Representative's name) empowers with this Power to Attorney. (first paragraph)

MATIS, S.A., (address) in the person of Director, John Smith, acting in accordance with the Status for registration and declaration, entry changes in the registration and declaration documentation on our following products: (second paragraph)

What is confusing me is: "with the Status" for registration and declaration, entry changes in....

I wonder if that "Status" would be the capacity in which the director is acting?, and "entry changes" means that the director is authorized to make changes in those documentations? If it is the idea, then it would be easy to translate it, but I need be sure...

This is a translation the importer (MATIS, S.A.) must present to a General Registry for some legal procedures.

Thanks again,

9. Hulalessar Senior Member

Andalucía
    English - England
    Assuming he has not missed something, if a lawyer cannot make full sense of a legal text in his native language there are two possibilities. The first is that the text uses terminology outside his area of expertise or applicable to another jurisdiction. The second is that the text fails to hang together. I think we are firmly in the second category here. We can speculate on what the text is trying to say and offer some possibilities, but no certainties. It reads like a translation made by someone with a good command of English, but not sufficiently good to write legal text.