In aliquot terms

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Allaster, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Allaster Senior Member

Hello, I was wondering whether the word aliquotly could be expressed in a more "poetic" sence, for instance

in aliquot terms
    in an aliquot manner

Thank you!
  2. cyberpedant

cyberpedant Senior Member

North Adams, MA
    English USA, Northeast, NYC
    My OED does not accept your adverbial form. I doubt that any (non-mathematician) AE speaker would have the slightest acquaintance with the word in any form.
  3. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Hi Allaster

I agree with cyber....

Can you tell us more about the context in which you want to use the word "aliquot"?
  4. Cagey post mod

English - US
    Hello Allaster,

In isolation, those seem strange to me. Please give us a complete sentence in which you would like to use such a phrase.
  5. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    I agree with Cyber and Loob: I've no idea what it means.
  6. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

English - England
    I think it would help tremendously if you gave us your proposed sentence.
  7. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

I looked it up and I still have only the vaguest idea what it means. I am dying to see it in a sentence, though.
  8. Allaster Senior Member

Thank you for your answers,

As far as I know aliquot means corresponding to ones share of something

I would like to use the word in the following situtation:

Person A bought a company and the company makes profit, person A is thus entitled to 100% of the profit, then this person A sold a 30% share to person B. Although person B is not a 100% shareholder of the company, it has, aliquotly/in aliquot terms/? the same rights as person A used to have, that means it has right to 30% of company's profits.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2012
  9. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I'm 100% certain I wouldn't use "aliquot" there, Allaster.

In fact, not being a mathematician, I'm 100% sure I've never used "aliquot" in my whole life:).

Maybe "in percentage terms" would work?

(PS. We don't use "it" to refer to "a person";).)
  10. velisarius Senior Member

British English (Sussex)
    'Wordnik' has several examples of "aliquot" in context, including one from a recipe for tiramisu:eek: I had no idea what this word meant, but I love the sound of it and will try to incorporate it into some of my recipes in future.
  11. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

English - US
    I've had a lot of mathematics and I've only ever used the word in chemistry:
  12. Allaster Senior Member

Ok :D wouldn't the phrase in aliquot terms at least sound even more odd than aliquotly :). Thanks
  13. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Both would sound pretty odd to me, Allaster. "Aliquotly" would sound even more odd than "in aliquot terms".
  14. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    To me it wouldn't matter whether you said in aliquot terms or aliquotly or à la aliquot or aliquot-fashion or in a kinda aliquotty way ... I still wouldn't have the faintest idea what you meant.
  15. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    I'd call this pro rata.
  16. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

English (England)
    I've learnt something new today too - and I thought I'd done a fair bit of maths! It seems in the mathematical sense you use it for an amount which goes into another a whole-number amount of terms. For example, 1/3 is an aliquot part of 2/3 because it goes into 2/3 2 times, and 2 is a whole number. As such Allaster I can't see how it would work at all in your example as 30 does not go into 100 an exact number of times (leaving apart the problem that it seems the majority of people wouldn't understand what the word means). As Keith says, it sounds like you need something like "pro rata" or "proportionally". Person B with 30% of the shares has proportionally the same rights as A.