in another word

Discussion in 'English Only' started by ohmyrichard, Sep 16, 2009.

1. ohmyrichard Senior Member

Hi, everyone.
    Please tell me whether there is the expression "in another word" in English. Can "in another word" and "in other words" be used interchangeably? I consulted my Longman and Oxford dictionaries but I only find "in other words" in both dictionaries.
  2. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Hi, Richard.

Did you see or hear "in another word" some place? Can you tell us the whole sentence? I can't think of a reason to say it.
  3. ohmyrichard Senior Member

I came across it in my friend's letter to me, but please notice that she is not a native speaker of English. She is a Taiwanese studying in the USA. And this is why I questioned its correctness. I will type the sentence and its context below for your reference in deciding the issue. Thanks.

I don't think we're specifically asked to formulate any theories based on the material we read, but it's not uncommon, take my Humanities class for instance, to speculate why people did the things they did, the reason behind a particular cultural ritual...ect. with a possible explanation. But there's not a standard to have to attain to for giving your speculation. In another word, one can say all he/she wants, no matter how outrageous, it's just personal opinions, the professor usually doesn't hold you to that. But depending on what each individual professor wants, there are different focuses on what he/she wants from their students.
  4. painterroy Senior Member

It's possible she was trying to say "in other words" which is sort saying a different sentence to mean the same thing.
    "I didn't do my homework last night, in other words, I didn't finish it.
    "I didn't wake up to my alarm clock this morning, in other words, I overslept.

Hope that helps
  5. ohmyrichard Senior Member

Thanks, painterroy.
    If you native speakers never say "in another word", then this expression does not exist in English and it's wrong. Therefore, I will stick to "in other words".
    Thanks again.