"In april of the second year"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Ignarciso, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Ignarciso

Ignarciso Junior Member

Cadiz
    Spanish, Spain
    I don't know if that sentence is correct or wrong, it sounds a bit strange to me, I'd thank very much if someone could help me. Would it be better yo say "in second-year april" or something similar?

Thanks

2. CAMullen Senior Member

Amesbury
    US, English
    It sounds so strange to me that I don't know what it means - unless maybe it means "toward the end of sophomore year." (?)

3. maxiogee Senior Member

imithe
    Your thread title is not a 'sentence'.
    I gather that you are referring to something happening in the course of some period of several years - such as a college education.
    It would read perfectly well to me if I were to come across the sentence:- "In April of the second year the Archaeology students will go on a field-trip to Crete."

Your construction of "second-year April" is something I would expect to see related to a subject as studied in the second year of a course.
    "In second-year French we will study the writings of Flaubert."

4. Ignarciso

Ignarciso Junior Member

Cadiz
    Spanish, Spain
    I was talking about a project which lasts more than two years, and I wanted to know how I should talk about the month of April (for example) of the second year of that project.

I'm sorry I didn't explain myself very clearly.

Thanks

5. maxiogee Senior Member

imithe
    April of the second year is the right way, for me.

6. Ignarciso

Ignarciso Junior Member

Cadiz
    Spanish, Spain
    thank you very much

7. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    It´s very poetic-sounding, "april of the second year", without context. You have good instincts.