in copy // on copy (e-mail)

Discussion in 'English Only' started by brooksj, Sep 14, 2007.

1. brooksj New Member

I live in Barcelona, Spain
    España, Español y Catalán
    Hi! I need some help here,

Which is the most natural way to say in an e-mail:

"please answer to James, who is in copy..."
    "please answer to James, who is on copy..." etc...

thanks a lot for your help!
  2. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

I'm afraid I don't quite understand... :(

Do you mean James' e-mail address is written in the "cc" part of the message?

In that case, I'm sorry, I have no idea. I might try saying "Please direct all answers to James, whose e-mail address is in the CC... umm, tab :p"

Actually, I don't suppose it would be natural at all to direct someone like this. For me, it's best to write James' address in the message.
  3. brooksj New Member

I live in Barcelona, Spain
    España, Español y Catalán
    Thanks for your response!

Actually, I know it does exist "to be on copy", but I am not sure how to construct the sentence.

But thanks a lot for your response! :) have a nice day
  4. GEmatt

GEmatt Senior Member

La Côte, Switzerland
    English/BE, Français/CH, Deutsch/CH (rustier & rustier)
    Hi brooksj, I'll start again:eek:.

No "to" is used, here.
    Please answer James, who... or
    Please reply/respond to James, who.

I tried out various configurations, because now that you've asked the question, I'm suddenly unsure as well.

James is on copy. Sounds strange.
    James is in copy. Sounds strange.
    James is on cc. Sounds strange.
    James is in cc. Sounds more natural; colloquial.
    James is cc'd. Sounds more natural; colloquial.
    James is copied on my email. Possible.
    James is copied in my email. Possible.
    I copied James on my email. Possible.
    I copied James in my email. Possible.

I still come down slightly in favour of on, though, because "email" to me refers principally to the text of the message. James is not copied in the text of your message, he is on it. This is certainly personal preference; I'd be interested to know if there is any conventional usage, as well. Hope I haven't confused matters.:)
  5. Martineke

Martineke New Member

I would have said: "please answer James whom I have copied"
    Sounds more elegant.
  6. Smc6288 Junior Member

Brussels, Belgium
    English - American
    Just as a side note - "Please answer James" makes no sense to my ears. Maybe this is a difference between AE and BE, I'm not sure. I would go with "please reply/respond to James"

As for the other part of the sentence - I have seen "in CC" or "in copy" which both imply to look at the header portion of the E-mail to see who else has been included.
  7. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

English - England
    It sounds odd to me too: James has not asked a question so you can't answer him.

This might be a bit long-winded but I would say: I have copied James in on this email. Please copy your reply to him.
  8. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

American English
    Another thought: Please click Reply to All so that James receives your reply.
  9. Fabulist Banned

Annandale, Virginia, USA
    American English
    It's been a few years since I received a lot of business e-mail, but I have not previously seen "in copy" or "on copy." I would suppose them to be Briticisms. Although I don't like it personally, I think I have seen, and I might use, "copy" as a transitive verb for "send a copy to," as in "Please copy James on all replies." That would mean to put my e-mail address in the "To" box but James' e-mail address in the "Cc" box.
  10. NB2 Junior Member

England & English
    please answer James (cc-ed)