1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

In modo che tutto fosse perfetto

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by bbreakmyheart, Jan 22, 2013.

1. bbreakmyheart New Member

Milan, Italy
    Italian
    "Abbiamo iniziato a organizzare la cerimonia mesi prima, in modo che tutto fosse perfetto"

Non riesco proprio a capire come renderla in inglese.

Stavo per scrivere "so that everything would be perfect", ma mi suonava strano. C'è un modo migliore per dirlo?

Grazie in anticipo per le risposte!

2. theartichoke Senior Member

English -- Canada
    What you've got sounds absolutely fine to me. My only question would be whether the Italian "in modo che tutto fosse perfetto" implies that everything therefore WAS perfect? To say "so that everything would be perfect" leaves open the possibility that despite all your planning, something still went wrong.

3. Einstein

Einstein Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    UK, English
    No, I think it just tells us the intention.
    I don't think so. This "would" is a future in the past; imagine them saying, "Let's plan everything months earlier, so that everything will be perfect", and then the use of "would be" simply gives us the reported-speech version.

You'd need "would have been perfect" to suggest that something went wrong.

4. theartichoke Senior Member

English -- Canada
    Sorry, I'm not following you. Am I misreading the tense of "abbiamo iniziato a organizzare" or something else in the original? I read the entire line as saying "We started organizing the ceremony months in advance, so that everything would be perfect." This, I think, could be followed by either "The ceremony went off without a hitch" or "However, we hadn't bargained on a torrential downpour."

5. bbreakmyheart New Member

Milan, Italy
    Italian
    I meant it as planning everything for the ceremony to be perfect in the future. Like calling the florist, booking the restaurant etc. since I'm referring to a wedding.

This is exactly what I meant! Thanks.

6. Einstein

Einstein Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    UK, English
    OK, I probably didn't read your comment properly. You were worried that "fosse" might exclude things going badly. I meant to say that in this case "would be" expresses the same concept as "fosse". Forget my comments about "would be"...:(

7. theartichoke Senior Member

English -- Canada
    It wouldn't have occurred to me to have questioned "fosse" if I hadn't just come off the "ho pensato bene di..." thread, where a bunch of us learned that if you add "bene" to "pensare," you're stating that you absolutely, unquestionably did what you thought about doing!:)

8. Phil9 Senior Member

London
    UK English
    Qui manca in po' d'informazione e contesto. Questa frase viene pronunciata prima o dopo la cerimonia e in quali circostanze?